Prologue

Just a little note- this part our story is VERY different from the overall tone. Only flashbacks like these are written like this, so please don't leave if you don't like the tone! It's usually not like this. If you do like it, then don't worry! There will be more parts like this to come. :)

PROLOGUE

William carefully mixed the potions, glancing up at the sound of footsteps by the door of the carriage. His eyes narrowed. Slowly, he drew his sword and advanced towards the door.

"William? It's me, Tomathy!"

William sighed and put away the sword, opening the door.

"Don't skulk about, you nearly got yourself killed by my hand."

Tomathy laughed. "You speak as though I could not parry thy sword."

William just nodded, distractedly. "The final batch of our brew are nearly finished."

Tomathy clapped once, pleased. "Good. We shall be ready to send them to our colleagues shortly, then."

A knock resounded on the door.

"Speak of the devil himself. That should be Tobias."

"It is indeed. Open the door posthaste, for I bring news." Tobias called from beyond the door.

Tomathy quickly gave Tobias entry. "Well? You say you bring news, them out with it."

Tobias nodded. "I was getting to that. Phillip has officially departed, escorting Tiberius out to war. We should be unperturbed in our... questionable efforts."

"Excellent. Let us depart, then. Our potions are finished." William stood and gathered their supplies in a bag, and exited the carriage with his brethren.

They walked peacefully until reaching the gate of their nation in progress.

There stood Clayton, the King of Flordania.

William kept his resolve. "Clayton. How can we help you this fine afternoon?"

Clayton's mask betrayed no emotion, but the anger that radiated from him was palpable. "What any respectable leader would do. You cannot secede from my nation."

"And why would that be?" William clutched the bag containing the drugs.

"Because not only are you illogically trying to secede, you are also engaging in illegal activity in this carriage."

"I don't see how it concerns you."

"How can it not?"

"Sir Clayton-"

"King Clayton."

"King Clayton, independence or death. If we have no revolution, then we want nothing. We would rather die than give in and join your Kingdom."

"To war, then? Are you willing to bleed for your foolish little potions?"

"Clearly you do not think they are foolish. And what part of death does not register for you?"

"So be it. But hear this- I demand white flags by tomorrow, or your so willing death will come to pass."