Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

Niki walked Fundy back to his room and tucked him in, yet he still wasn't tired. He laid there curled up in a ball, thinking about the day's events. After tossing and turning for what felt like hours, he got out of bed and snuck to Wilbur's room, his cold feet padding on the stone floor. He made it to Wilbur's room and hovered by the door, unsure. He carefully grabbed the door handle, and slowly pulled the door open. He popped his head into the room, looking for Wilbur. Wil was passed out on his bed, shivering in his sleep. He seemed to be having a bad dream, but nothing like the hallucinations Fundy overheard. Fundy sighed, turned, and went back to his room. "I can't bother him, me not being able to sleep isn't that important." He muttered under his breath.

He crawled back into bed, cold, snuggling into his sheets. He sniffled, holding back tears. "Stupid. Why're you crying." He whispered to himself.

He shot up at a knock on his door. "Uh- who is it?" He quickly wiped away his tears.

"Niki."

Fundy quickly opened his door. "I thought you had to go home."

Niki nodded, distractedly. "I did, but Tommy told me to take a guest room, and... I was worried about you."

"I'm okay. I'm just-" He sniffed again. "Worried about Dad."

"Don't worry Fundy, I'm sure after some rest and a break from his duties, he'll be just fine."

Niki smiled softly at Fundy as she placed a hand on his head. There was a pause, but then Fundy threw himself into Niki, hugging her tightly. Niki began to tear up as Fundy held her tight, she swore to herself that she'd do everything in her power to help Wil recover. Niki then picked up the young fox boy, and set him back in his bed.

"Now get some sleep, you won't do your Dad any good by making him worry even more about you..."

"Yeah..."

"Goodnight Fundy."

"Night Niki."

Niki gave a small wave before closing the door as quietly as she could. Fundy grabbed a fox plushie in which was a memento from his mother, before she disappeared, and got in a comfortable position under the covers. As he began to curl up again, he didn't realize how tired he was. As he laid there, he drifted off to sleep, only to be greeted by horrific nightmares.

Fundy was at the podium, but in the background. He saw himself among other citizens of L'Manburg, sitting in the front row. He could see that people were speaking, but his vision was slightly blurry, and no words were to be heard. All of a sudden a shadowy figure took the spot on the podium, as he watched his Dad and Tommy as they stepped down. Then his position changed, to that of where the shadowy figure was previously, as he watched his Dad and Tommy sprint to the walls of L'Manburg like their lives depended on it. Then it cut to him watching someone from afar tearing down the walls of L'Manburg, upon trying to inspect the person, he saw ears and a tail. He put his hands over his mouth, eyes going wide at the impending shock. No sooner did everything cut to somewhere else, he froze. There a figure stood in-front of the L'Manburg flag, held in their trembling hand was a torch lit ablaze. The figure was hesitant, but then proceeded to set the flag on fire. Fundy watched as it caught on fire and burned brightly. The last thing he saw was the silhouette, his silhouette. He ran forward towards the silhouette, as he reached his arm out he screamed,

"NO!"