The princess' eyes widened, devouring the sight of the square-shaped sweets. There were different flavors as well, almond, orange, and even raspberry. Filled with excitement, Athanasia lunged for the box and enjoyed her sister's gift the moment that Jennet settled on her seat.

For a long moment, the duo did not speak, simply basking in the presence of the other and enjoying the sweets. Sapphires to sapphires and oceans to oceans, their hearts beat as one, bound by fate in the never ending cycle where one could not live without the other.

Still, after an hour of silence, Athanasia sent her sister a glance. She could not help but compare this Jennet to the one that she had grown with, the one that she loved with all of her heart. While that sister had been kind and compassionate, a gentle dog, this Jennet was already as dangerous as a snake and sly as a fox. Hell, when Jennet had first sat with Athanasia, Lucas, and Claude, joining their afternoon tea, she had spoken with complete confidence, calling the emperor a bitch-like drunken fool.

It had filled the crown princess with horror, mostly because her father nearly killed Jennet on the spot. However, Athanasia also found it amusing, how different Jennet was. It was better that way, where the puppet princess had removed some masks. "This way, she cannot be bound again by the same circumstances."

"What's wrong, Athanasia? Is it not to your liking" Jennet placed another piece of chocolate in her mouth, sending her sister a smile as she analyzed Athanasia's expression. The tips of her mouth had risen a certain height, more of a smirk than a smile. It made that forbidden child curious, for what could have made the crown princess smile in such a way?

"Of course that's not the case, they're spectacular." Athanasia replied, tasting the raspberry flavor before looking her sister in the eyes. When the oceans met, she couldn't help but think of one man, that person equally as psychotic as Claude, "say, sister?... what will happen with uncle?"

Jennet straightened, her calm smile turning cold. It took a while to respond as she simply sat, her eyes guarded and her mind reviewing the memories concerning her father. Still, she could not fathom what Athanasia could even be asking about. What was there to say? What else was there to do? Murder rang in her mind, but she still asked her sister for some clarification. "What about him?"

"Will he try to attack us again? Would you join him if he proposes another rebellion?" The child of Anastacius recoiled, her hand jumping to lay flat over her left breast. The unity of their hearts parted as hers pounded frantically, both in panic and anger. "How could you think such a thing?"

"But why? Why did you help him back then?"

"You-" Jennet's mouth suddenly closed with a snap, and she struggled to suppress the anger towards her precious companion. Swearing and throwing insults at Claude was fine, fantastic even, but doing the same to Athanasia was certainly something that the fox would come to regret. However, she had never thought that her sister was someone so naive either. "Athanasia, it was for you."

When that loving sister tilted her head, bright sapphires gleaming with confusion, her companion could not help but sigh. "Athanasia, what could I have possibly needed from Anastacius? He could not give me more liberty nor power than Claude already did, which was nothing! You are forgetting that they're brothers, and the blood running through them is much too thick. All that I ever shared with that emperor wannabe was the need to punish Claude, all to avenge your death. All that I've ever lived for was your happiness."

The undying maiden felt a chill run through her spine, and the image of her sister complimenting her eyes on the boat flashed before her tumultuous oceans. Athanasia had thought of it before, but she had simply brushed it aside. She did not want to seem egotistical, nor assume things that were not quite right. However, now that Jennet had her memories, she was surely different, and it scared her sister a little. "For what reason is she dangerously obsessed with me, and is it even me? Perhaps it is the thought of a kind sister, the last of her dream of a loving family."

"Then, if uncle returns, what will you do?" The undying maiden would never forget the eyes that her sister had. Sapphires to sapphires and oceans to oceans, Athanasia felt that she had returned back in time, back when her father still hated her, still heartlessly pushed her to the side. And, as a lonely and desperate chill blanketed her body, seeping into her pores and gripping her bones, a single word circled in her mind as a whisper, "useless."

"Perhaps, then, the shadows can finally move."

~~~•~~~
This update is a little late *awkward laughter* and, honestly, I can't even apologize anymore because it won't change anything. My update schedule is so inconsistent during the school year, so I can't promise anything about the next update either. Also, my goal was to finish the main story before the new year came but, since it's already like Dec. 28 where I'm at, it'll be a little difficult😅

To everyone waiting for future chapters, thank you for your patience. Also, if the entire Balance arc gets weird or is filled with plot holes, I tried to fix it, I swear. Honestly, I must've been out of my mind when I wrote this, but everyone does get a happy ending so don't worry😌✌🏼