Anchor XIV

Includes Claude's coman and mentions of drowning and emotional numbness

~~~•~~~

Athanasia had already drowned more than once and could easily identify how it felt for both. The eyes stung as it struggled to remain open in the water, the throat burned as it struggled to breathe while submerged, and the heart beat gently to the rhythm of the liquid. It was as if, the closer you were to death, the more you became one with the element.

However, this was not that.

The young maiden grabbed her heart, wondering if the cycle had finally ended

The young maiden grabbed her heart, wondering if the cycle had finally ended. She thought about Lucas, Jennet, Claude, and Lily despite floating in the darkness. However, more than anything else, she finally felt the Rosen thorns loosen.

"I feel myself losing something."

And she did not know until she visited her father that it was him.

"After collapsing ten days ago, his majesty has not yet regained consciousness."Athanasia faintly heard Felix's words, but her focus was mainly on the unresponsive figure of Claude.

She simply stood by his side, her mind in a state of shock. She thought about Lucas and where everything could have gone wrong. However, most importantly, she thought about her father and how he had tried to save her.

When she had first been crown princess, he treasured her but had never quite been selfless. The undying maiden knew that far too well because it's what kept her sane. That no matter how close they got, the constant numbness in his eyes had helped her from getting too close. "So it's impossible that dad risked his life to save mine."

Athanasia denied it all because she could not dare hope again. She could not be hurt again when he would forget her. Just like last time when she clung to that happiness, she knew that she would cling again if she were to accept Claude. "As if I hadn't already."

"Papa, wake up," Athanasia called, her voice trembling as she remembered the last time that he had collapsed

"Papa, wake up," Athanasia called, her voice trembling as she remembered the last time that he had collapsed. His cold eyes and the cuts on his hands when he killed her. The princess knew that she was close to reliving everything again. "Papa, don't be a useless emperor and get up!"

"Show me, papa, that you're still fine," she thought desperately, grabbing his hand and screaming with all of her might. "Claude de Alger Obelia! Get! Up!" "Show me that you've defied fate like we have!"

But he did not. When he opened his eyes, Athanasia knew immediately that everything had fallen back to its original state. His eyes were cold and numb, and he was once again, "useless."

Athanasia bit back a laugh. She could not even feel angry at her father for being weak against fate, and she refused to feel fear against her death when it didn't even hurt anymore. No, all she could think about was her desire to stay by his side. "Because the memories are far stronger than ever before."

The laughter, the mirth, and the simple adoration that her father had shown her... she remembered them all. But memories, in the end, can either become bittersweet or a source of euphoria. Athanasia was neither of that because she was just

numb to the core.

~~~•~~~Just a heads up, the next few chapters will be their deaths😖

~~~•~~~
Just a heads up, the next few chapters will be their deaths😖

Now, in a month, my fall semester will be starting. I'm not sure how busy I'll be, but I'll probably be pretty busy starting a few weeks before that because of uni prep. So, I just wanted to give a heads up that, if I'm taking a little longer to edit the chapters, please be patient and I'll dish them all out as soon as possible. Stay safe everyone💛