Useless III

Mentions of being hung, drowning, sadism, and death
~~~•~~~

"Lilian York, long time no see," Claude stated, resting his head on his hand and gazing coldly at the woman he called. Beside Lily stood a trembling Athanasia, and the young princess briefly wondered if she should stop him because his eyes were cold again. The chill that came over her as she realized that he wasn't going to save her from being hung... the chill that she felt after being submerged by the ocean... every single memory replayed in her mind, mocking her as she stood before death.

"Blessings and glory upon the sun of the Obelian Empire." If possible, Claude's eyes became even colder, suffocating the two women before him. While Athanasia struggled to keep the memories at bay, Lilian York struggled to reign in her dismay.

How powerless, how insignificant they all seemed to be before the sun.

"I haven't been able to pay enough attention to my one and only daughter due to my court duties." Athanasia bit back a frown, vividly remembering Jennet's smile. She refused that thought then. Maybe, this time, they could share the warmth of the sun. "But still, Athanasia has grown into such a healthy child. The credit belongs to you."

"Yes," his daughter bitterly agreed, "and the credit for my trauma belongs to you."

"Thank you, your majesty." Both Lily and the suffocated child expected to be dismissed then, but he did not. Instead, a soft hum, reverberated in the room. Youthful yet wise sapphire eyes stared at the amused emperor, widening at his next words. "However, from now on, I will be looking into the princess' well-being. There will be no need to worry."

A wide smirk accompanied those amused eyes, and a different kind of fear ran through Athanasia's mind

A wide smirk accompanied those amused eyes, and a different kind of fear ran through Athanasia's mind. Is this what Jennet had to deal with? Did he really love her, or was she just some form of entertainment? Was she just some naive child that he toyed with?

"There's no way," she internally laughed, "Jennet loved Claude with all of her heart. They were the happiest out of the entire empire."

"Starting today, Princess Athanasia will be treated as a proper princess." A pair of trembling sapphires met her father's eyes, and she almost cursed aloud.

Once the two were out of the audience chamber, Lily embraced the five-year-old princess. Both of them trembled, both in fear yet different kinds.

"It's okay princess." Lily whispered with a quivering voice, kneeling on the ground and worrying for the child that she adored. The princess in her arms closed her eyes, sucking in a breath that she felt she could never have again. "It's alright."

"I really hope so too," Athanasia thought, clinging to her precious nanny, "I hope so too."