Balance III

Includes cursing and mentions of: death, suicide
~~~•~~~

Although Claude and Lucas disagreed with Athanasia's decision, they did not dare interfere. When they would look at her smile, which was brighter than they've ever seen, they couldn't dare interfere lest their princess lost her joy, her overwhelming and infectious ecstasy. Really, they spoiled her, treasured her too much to refuse anything.

Said maiden thought so as well. It was difficult not to when Lucas had already died simply because he could not live without her, Claude had offered numerous times to die simply so she could survive, and even Jennet had revealed taking the shadows by storm simply so that she could protect her sister. Athanasia could not help but feel amused. In her first lifetime, she had been worth less than dirt. Her father had despised her, the palace staff had neglected her, and the knights had thought that she was a traitor.

However, other than amusement, the crown princess felt helpless as well. Her father was the emperor, her lover the wizard of the tower, and even her sister was the mistress of the underworld. Compared to them, what was Athanasia capable of? It wasn't like she could properly control her magic, neither would Claude let her leave the palace to run errands like Jennet. So, even though she had already changed the flow of fate, Athanasia still felt inadequate.

"But what can I do? What else can I change when I don't even know what will end this cycle?" Athanasia thought, the edges of her knuckles turning white as she clutched her balcony railings. This was the first time in years, even lifetimes, where she was spending the evening by herself. Typically, Lucas would accompany her, but he was missing for some reason, and she felt slightly anxious to be alone. So, when she found a room bathed in light from the ruby palace, Athanasia braced herself and sneaked out to visit her sister.

"By the gods, Athanasia!" Jennet exclaimed, clutching her towel over her skirt after she just exited her bath. Feeling embarrassed now that she thought of what she'd done, the crown princess laughed awkwardly and turned her head.

"I'm sorry, unnie. I can leave if you're about to go to bed?" Loud gales of laughter suddenly filled the night, and Athanasia watched as her sister lunged forward to wrap her in a tight hug. It was the first time that they've ever been openly affectionate, that they could ever be so free, and it filled Athanasia with joy. The young maiden happily buried her face in the eldest's neck, reminiscing about all of their memories.

 The young maiden happily buried her face in the eldest's neck, reminiscing about all of their memories

"Don't be silly, Athanasia. It has been far too long since we've spent some time together, just the two of us." The eldest of the two helped her sister into her room, settling Athanasia down at a table before going to her dresser. There were no maids available since it was so late at night, so they could not prepare any tea, but Jennet simply pulled out a box of chocolates. "I recently made these for you, so I'm glad to have the chance to give them to you now."