Salvation XI

Includes grief, helplessness, major character death and mentions of nerve loss and aphonia

~~~•~~~

The first few days after Athanasia woke up, she was lost in a sea of shock. "Jennet died. How could she have died?" But, once the shock faded, all that she could remember was her sister's smile, which gleamed with the intensity of a thousand burning suns.

Guilt. This profound emotion blanketed Athanasia, wrapped around her neck. It clung to her so tenaciously that she thought it would remain for the rest of her life. She failed to protect Jennet, her sister, her savior. Perhaps, if she had done things differently, if she had not accepted that ribbon, then she would still be alive- grief lodged itself into her throat as she sobbed late into the night.

On the other hand, though Claude and Lucas tried to comfort her, all that they could think was, "good riddance."

With time, Athanasia joined them too. The guilt lingered but the grief vanished quickly. As a veteran of death, to the point of being desensitized, it wasn't odd for Athanasia to recover quickly. Perhaps this was her own way of covering her guilt. So, though the princess still often burst into tears, memories flashing before her eyes every time that she passed by the spots that she and Jennet loved, her heart was also elated- "I survived."

This realization was all that Athanasia needed to heal. Although she was beginning to understand that each life brought changes, this was one of the most significant yet. The first to die carries the burden of being a trigger of some sort. Athanasia had always been that trigger, dying before she could even lift a finger. She had always been defenseless, bound by fate, and this was the first time that she wasn't the first to die. Loath was she to admit it, but Jennet's death brought the princess immense joy- she thought, "finally, maybe I won't die again."

If only fate could listen.

A month or so after the incident, the young princess began to feel ill. Once in a while, her heart began to beat painfully, but she ignored every instance. Surely, it was just phantom pain from her lost mana supply- it wasn't.

When it became more frequent, Athanasia began to feel scared. That was when she approached Lucas, but he was just as perplexed. Wondering if there was something that they missed, the mage reported it to the emperor. Suddenly, the palace became vigilant to the needs of the princess.

A week later, she collapsed.

It was a simple day, a perfect one if she were to say, with a clear sky and a fine breeze

It was a simple day, a perfect one if she were to say, with a clear sky and a fine breeze. As she was taking a stroll through her Rosen maze, her heart began to thunder, tendrils of lightning spreading across her body. The pain simply kept increasing until her knees buckled, falling to ground, and Athanasia could only gasp for a breath beyond the pain that she felt. And when the pain finally peaked, she simply lost consciousness.