Useless II

Mentions of death, drowning, blood, suffocation, and murder.
~~~•~~~

Athanasia did not fear death itself. No, what she feared most was the pain that accompanied that moment. The struggle to survive, for just one more breath. The thought of surviving, only to lose it in the end. Death itself was not the problem, it was the hope, the dreams, and the pain of losing everything that you've ever cared for.

So when she was placed before her father, exhaustion gripping her youthful bones, she could not stare another second into his bejeweled sapphires. In it was a constant reminder of the ocean that drowned her. It was a reminder of the hope that was crushed within her.

"Well, this is boring," Claude commented, leaning back with a soft sigh. Felix glanced at him, his own eyes flickering with caution as Athanasia's eyes snapped up to her father's figure. She glanced between Claude and Felix, wondering if he was going to order her death now, but Claude noticed and seemed thoughtful. No, there was a flicker of anger. "Felix."

"Yes, your majesty

"Yes, your majesty." Athanasia thought that this was it, and how broken was she to be relieved? This time, she was going to die while breathing. The undying princess took a deep breath, relishing her last moments, until the breath caught in her throat at Claude's next words. "Leave us."

Felix and Athanasia couldn't help but stare at Claude, until the knight turned to the door and the child stared at him pleadingly to remain with her. How could he leave her in the presence of this psychopathic emperor?

"Then again," Athanasia mused, "Felix has hands as bloodied as my father's."

"How come you're not talking anymore?" Wide sapphires returned to the figure of her father, and she almost whimpered when she saw the mild anger directed at her. Fear began to seep into her bones again, crawling slowly until it began to wrap around her throat.

 Fear began to seep into her bones again, crawling slowly until it began to wrap around her throat

"Athy doesn't have much to say," she finally managed, her lips trembling slightly. The young lady blinked curiously and fearfully at Claude, wondering why he invited her.

If this was her first life, she would have jumped for joy. Her mouth would have already been running a mile a minute as she struggled to control her elation... but it wasn't. She had already died thrice because of this cold man. How could she possibly love such a man?