Lessons

"I simply cannot believe you actually enjoy this riffraff," Dmitri grumbles in reference to his history lesson, from which we have been excused for a spot of tea.

"History has always interested me," I explain calmly, sipping my green tea with an impassive expression and enjoying its jasmine essence. Tea-time is more or less the only culinary experience that has improved from my change of location. I think I shall recommend that the Berkeleys find a new chef, someone French or Italian. Their British chef simply is not up to par with Delilah.

"I find history interesting, but Signore Cappitte makes everything sound so dreadfully dull."

"Why would a loving fiancé subject his beloved to something he finds so atrocious? Would it not have been more noble to spare her this fate?" Naturally, I am jesting, but his look turns roguish and I immediately regret my decision to be playful with him.

"I wanted to make it more bearable for myself, naturally. I wouldn't say you've quite earned the title of beloved yet, though, dear."

"Then you ought not to call me dear either, Dmitri."

"I suppose you have a point. But then what shall I call you?"

"You could use my name. It hasn't bothered you before."

"Of course I can call you Aerys, but everyone here calls you that. I feel like between us, we should have our own names for each other."

"I am not opposed, but I sincerely hope that you can come up with something more creative than dear."

"Of course, but it may take some time. We still do not know each other overly well," he points out, his eyes boring into me as if to search my soul here and now.

"I have only been here a few days. We must not rush things. And it seems that we have the rest of our lives to get to know each other overly well," I reply placidly. He chuckles at the latter statement. I cannot tell if he appreciates my sardonic humour or if he thinks I am ridiculous. More than likely it is a combination of both. No one in my family understood my jokes.

"Indeed we do, according to the agreement between our families. But I would be lying if I told you that the contract was the only reason I want to get to know you."

"And what might your other reasons be?"

"We have not had a new person stay in the mansion for so long before, for one thing. And I find you intriguing in a number of ways. But we must stop wasting time and return to my lessons now, lest my mother be proven right in her fears that you will distract me and you be banished from such delightful endeavors."

"Delightful? Has your opinion of history lessons so suddenly changed?"

"No. History is over for today and we will be spending the remainder of our time before luncheon on literature, which I believe both of us will find more enjoyable than our previous pursuits."

"Entirely possible." And so we return to the library for his literature lessons. It seems he is currently in a study of Russian fiction, no doubt at the suggestion of his mother. I learn during this lesson that Dmitri is relatively fluent in Russian as well as English and French. His multilingualism certainly makes him more attractive in my eyes. I am fluent in English, French, and Italian, but he has no reason to know that yet. I have also been studying Russian since I came here, by myself early in the morning when I am awake before anyone else. It is difficult but I hope it will be worthwhile, given his mother's ancestry and his own linguistic background. Mayhap I will ask him to help me learn it. I truly would prefer to surprise him with it, though I know not why.