Some Pawn in their Game

"Hey, cheer up. It could have been worse," Dmitri smiles, referring to the rest of the family breakfast that we've just escaped from. Now we walk down yet another corridor that looks just like all the other confounded corridors in this dratted prison of a mansion.

"In what way, exactly?" I hiss. That meal was nothing short of an unmitigated disaster, and I'm in no mood for his attempts to cheer me. "I suppose they could have decided to test me in academics now, rather than putting it off until after luncheon in the hopes that rest will render me more agreeable."

"In their defense, you have been in something of a sour disposition since you met Juniper."

"And of course that's somehow out of the realm of reasonable expectations, under the circumstances! Any girl should be perfectly content with being taken from her home by absolute strangers and learning that she's been set to marry one of those strangers since before she could speak. Obviously it's my training in etiquette and deportment that's at fault, not the fact that I'm not supposed to ask questions about my rather sudden change in circumstances, or even to know where I am!"

Dmitri winces under the force of my tirade. "I never said your feelings weren't justified. I know full well that this has all been quite a lot for you to take in, and that's why I told them about the situation with your clothes—"

"You shouldn't have said anything about that! I was content to let it go, to play the part they've created for me, but because you decided to interfere I've been saddled with these extra lessons and the test—"

"I was trying to help you, to let them know what a tremendous change it is for you—"

"I don't want your help! You're part of the problem. You lied to me, just like they've all been lying to me my whole—"

"What are you talking about?!"

"You said it'd be less formal here than in my Grandmother's chateau. Less formal, indeed! What a heap of rubbish."

"I said that based on the one evening I spent in your, erm, former residence, before I knew you were allowed to dress less formally, before we even had a real conversation! Forgive me for getting the wrong impression. I just wanted to offer you some consolation, and you—"

"Just want someone to be honest and decent with me, for once in my life, instead of treating me like some pawn in their game, a game I never asked to be a part of."

"A perfectly reasonable wish. I'm sorry, Aerys. I truly am. If there was anything I could do—"

"Get me out of this mess."

"You know I can't do that. We're stuck in the same tangled web, you and I."

"Yet somehow your parents seem to have no understanding of how—"

"They were told to expect something quite different of you, is all."

"Oh, it's quite clear that they have no idea what kind of bride they've actually obtained for you."

"None of the reports they got from your family indicated that you were anything but cooperative and well-behaved, and your Grandmother specifically promised us that you wouldn't ask some of the questions that you have asked."

"How could she promise such a thing? And don't lie to me. I heard what your mother said about the necklace, and I remember all too well what you told me about them last night. Combined with what I've seen myself--"

"All right, all right, calm down." The flames are in his eyes again, flashing dangerously. "Come with me." I would have protested, but his grip on my wrist defies argument and he opens a panel in the wall shortly afterward. My eyes light up at this discovery and I quickly make note of the panel's location before he drags me into the tunnel behind it. It is pitch black, but for a light he's obtained from somewhere, seemingly a torch for which I can make out no handle. What devilment is this?! A few twists and turns later, he opens another panel and the light disappears. I would comment on it, but I want him to answer my other question and I don't want to push my luck. Whatever the secret of the light is, I suspect I shall have another opportunity to find out.