Chapter Twenty Four: Anais

Anais' P.O.V

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." Tears welled up in my eyes and I blinked them back, my body trembling. "We were fighting then she fell and I...I tried to get her hand but it was too late."

Jair ran his fingers through his hair in agitation. "Is she...is she..."

A gut-wrenching sob tore through my chest and fresh snot ran down my nose. "Yes Jair, Sydnee is dead."

He steps towards me and his hands framed my face. Then his lips pressed against mine. His kiss was tender and full of heart. I pulled away, shaking, our lips still inches away from each other.

"What are we going to do?" I whisper.

"Don't worry. I'll take care of it. You're going to be okay."

I stared into his eyes and nodded. "Okay."

Paramedics arrive and I wonder if it's too late. We've been out here for hours. But I still hold on to the hope that she will make it even though I know the truth.

There was a distant chopping sound and I looked above me. A news crew helicopter was overhead and I covered my ears.

"Let's get out of here!" Jair yelled.

Before I follow him I take one last look at Sydnee's body. She looked frozen as if she might wake up at any moment. She almost looks angelic except for the spaces of her skin that was ripped to shreds and caked in dry blood.

* * * * * *

The first round of questions was simple and the case was closed just like that. Everything lined up with what we said and now we could go home.

We called our parents and now all we have to do is wait but every sound going off in the police station is making me want to scream. I hug my knees to my chest and open my mouth to speak but I can't.

Jair's eyes are red and swollen, his voice raw from sobbing and I swallow. I can hardly bear to look at him and I start biting my fingernails as new tears form.

He sits across from me in an orange plastic chair in the lobby. I get up and sit beside him and pull him into my chest, twisting my fingers in his hair.

He turns around and gives me a faint smile and all I can think about is if this rush of shock and hurt inside me will ever go away.

"Jair?"

His blue eyes are cloudy. "Yes, Anais?"

"I have to confess. I...I'm a murderer."

"No." Jair's body tenses against mine.

My throat tightened and I took a short intake of breath. "I can't...I can't do this. I have to tell them what happened. The truth."

He glances back at the door then whispers. "You can't. We both know it was an accident."

My voice cracks. "But what if it wasn't?"

He grabs me by my arms. "Whatever happened at the waterfall was an accident. You two were talking and Sydnee slipped." His grip dug into my skin. "The marks on her body were from a koala."

I nod my head ferociously and he lets go. I exhale slowly as tears streamed down my face.

He kisses me on the forehead and hugs me. "I'm sorry Anais. But just know I'm doing this to protect you."

I take another breath but my panic doesn't subside. Jair takes my trembling hands, peels me off of the chair, and walks me away before I can say anything else.

Outside we're met with a crowd of reporters and cameras. The cameras start flashing in our faces, practically blinding me. Jair holds on to my arm to steady me and pushes us through the commotion.

As I strain to see in front of me, Jair laces his fingers with mine and continues forward.

"Anais! Jair! Look over here!" One cameraman yells.

"How are you coping with the sudden death of Sydnee Rose?" Another calls out.

"What happened out there?!"  Someone hollers.

"We won't be answering any questions at this time," Jair says as he pulls me away and puts me inside the limo.

I can barely catch my breath when we're inside. I couldn't hear the words he was speaking and just nodded my head. Jair says something else but my hand goes for the chest that has my dad's sleeping pills and I pop three in my mouth before Jair can say anything, letting my troubled mind drift off to sleep.

* * * * * *

Sydnee's words reverberate in my head. "Tate kissed me. Did you know that his lips are as soft and sweet as marshmallows?"

Strong arms wrap around my back and under my knees. I'm lifted and I wrap my arms around their shoulders.

I stare groggily at Jair as he walks into my house and my room. He sets me on my bed gently and kisses me on the forehead before leaving.

"I'm sorry you've held onto this hate for so long. But you don't deserve to be behind bars. You're a good person. I know it."

I want to believe him. But how could a good person just do what I just did?

***

There's a slight knock on the door.

"No visitors!" I groan.

Benjamin appears at the doorway. He coughs, clearing his throat, and fixes his tie. "Ms. Anais, Tate won't leave until he sees you."

Great.

"I'm not in the talking mood right now."

Or in a yelling mood.

Who's knows what will happen if I see him? I don't know if I'll break down crying or rip his head off.

"Understood. I will let him know. There's also one more thing."

"There's nothing else that could be worse than what had happened today."

He looks at me with sad eyes and pulls out my laptop. He points at the screen and I shift my position on the bed so I can see.

It's the news and the headline reads: "Anais Brown and Jair Rose comfort each other after finding Sydnee Rose dead in Australia."

It was all over the internet before I had a chance to explain things. A picture of Jair and I kissing.

My face is sullen, filled with fear, tears stained on my cheeks. Jair's hands on my waist, his fingers slipped under the hem of my t-shirt.

The photographer must have been down by the forest, out of sight.

One moment. One picture. Is more than enough for Tate to leave me.

But the real question is, was he ever really mine, to begin with?

I sighed. "Tell Tate he can come in."

A/n:
Hope you like this chapter! Don't forget to vote if you did!

Two more weeks until winter break!

"Mistakes make you wiser and pain makes you stronger." -Amazon

Till next time,
-Miss Yanxiet :)