chapter 48

marella making me gayer by the second❤️

someone get me a girlfriend im about to go crazy

anyway art by @/daceymaeart on ig

~

When Sophie awoke, she wondered why her face and her pillow were so damp. She wondered why Keefe's hair looked as if he had been running his fingers through it recently. She wondered why his face had tear stains.

And then it all hit her.

A few blissful moments of ignorance and then the guilt pounded onto her brain like a thunderbolt clapping down from the sky. With the remembrance came the searing pain, the light flaring behind her eyes as her brain pulsed within her skull.

Flashes of Daryl's smiling face, of his family, the sister he'll never meet pounded through her brain as she felt her breathing pick up.

The floor shifted beneath her as the pain shooting through her head left her reeling and disoriented.

A picture of a new tree popped into her mind, a tree with brown leaves and bright blue flowers. A tree that would become real soon.

And Sophie cried, curling up into a ball as her head pounded. Through the pain, she heard someone moving, then someone's voice. It was frantic, getting more anxious by the second.

Strong arms lifted her up, adjusting her in their arms before tucking her throbbing head into the nook of their neck. A warm body held her tightly to them, they spoke softly in her ear, she didn't hear it.

In and out, in deep breaths as she awaited the end to the pain. It had been so long—so long since her last incident. Had this really been all they needed to do to set her back months?

Was she really that easy to break?

When the pain finally began to slowly ebb away, she heard a whisper in her ear, "I'm here. You're okay."

Keefe's whole body was taunt, shaking softly, a light sheen of sweat covering him.

"Are you okay?" Sophie asked him, she winced at her voice. It was tight, nearly intelligible.

Keefe shook softly, "Am I okay? Am I okay? Baby, are you okay?"

"Nothing I can't handle." She whispered, her head still throbbed but she could breathe, and she could speak and hear. So she was pretty much in perfect health.

"You don't look great." He whispered back, "All do respect, Foster, you do not handle it well."

"I guess I deserve that," She had no energy to think of a rebuttle with the throbbing in her head.

"Here," Keefe said, his voice frantic once again. "Lay down."

"Can you . . . get me some aspirin please?" Sophie whispered, her voice was hoarse, even more so because she was still tired.

"You can't have medication on an empty stomach," Keefe whispered, pain laced in every word. "I can make you food. That's it! I'll go make you food. Stay there, I'll be right back."

He turned and speed-walked down the stairs with surprising efficiency.

As much as Sophie's head throbbed as she got up, she didn't particularly feel like Keefe burning her house down.

She rushed to do all her toiletries even with the nonstop pounding of her head.

As she threw open her bedroom door, Sandor stood in front of her, a giant wall of muscle she could not and would not be getting through.