chapter 30

Sophie awoke the next morning, tired, but still excited to spend the day with her friends.

After weeks of pushing them away, she was a little (a lot) nervous as to how they would respond to seeing her.

She combed through her hair and braided it in two french braids in am effort to calm herself down.

She wore a simple outfit, knowing that they were very likely to play base quest. She had on a simple blouse and leggings, along with her gloves.

She reluctantly stepped in front of Vertina for approval of her outfit.

As soon as Sophie stepped into the range of the mirror, a face swirled in the corner until Sophie could make out the framillier face of the snooty mirror. "Wow, you actually like kinda nice. You would look better is a dress though." She wrinkled her nose.

"Well, I'm not wearing a dress so any other recommendations for me?"

"You should put on some makeup. Use that gold eyeliner that your friends picked out for you."

Sophie thought about it for a moment, she didn't normally wear the eyeliner because she didn't like bringing attention to her eyes. But she would be with only her friends all day. And they didn't judge her for having brown eyes.

She nodded to Vertina, leaving for a moment to get the eyeliner. She then let Vertina guide her through the process of putting on eyeliner, she wasn't very good at it.

When she was done, Vertina nodded in approval. "You know, I'm not a big fan of your freakish eyes. But I have to say, they look nice with the eyeliner."

Sophie blushed softly.

"Now get your ass to Everglen."

Sophie gasped. "Vertina!"

Vertina responded by disappearing and Sophie didn't know if she wanted her to come back.

Sophie sighed and headed upstairs to the leapmaster, her bodyguards trailing behind her.

She took a deep breath. "Everglen!" She called.

No going back now.

She stepped into the path of light that the leapmaster created.

After the bright lights stopped swirling around her, she found herself outside the gates of Everglen.

When Biana, who was waiting at the gate, saw her she squealed. "Sophie! It's been so long!" Biana hugged her.

Sophie cringed, but hugged Biana back. She didn't know why, but she felt as if she were endangering her friends by being so close to them.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, sorry." Sophie resisted the urge to pull out an eyelash.

"Okay," Biana smiled widely at her. "The rest of our friends are going to flip! Only Fitz knows you're coming today."

"The rest of our friends are going to be here?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah, why is that a problem?" Biana started leading Sophie into the gates of Everglen.

"No, no problem." Sophie shot Biana a reassuring smile.

It really wasn't a problem, hearing her friends would be there scared her. Why? She had absolutely no idea.

Biana led Sophie through the forest-like grounds to a clearing, the same one they had played base quest in so many times before.

Seeing the familiar clearing brought a small smile to her face with all the happy memories she had had there, before life got so complicated.