chapter 47

The next morning when Sophie awoke, her head was rested on Keefe's chest, his arms wrapped protectively around her body, and his chin rested atop her head.

With their legs entwined under the sheets, and her own arms crushed between her body and Keefe's, she didn't dare move.

Her memories of the day before came flooding back all at once.

Some from before then even.

Memories of meeting a certain red headed councillor.

For a while, she didn't move at all. Keeping her breaths shallow, she scooted a little closer to his chest when her mind spun, her breathing becoming harder.

Keefe let out a small huff in reply, ruffling her hair.

Her eyes watered as her chest contracted, before Keefe could see her cry again, she got up, pushing herself off him and walking briskly into her restroom.

She could've sworn she saw Keefe sit up as she closed the door. Pressing her back against it, she slid down to sit on the floor, pulling her knees to her chest.

"Foster." She heard Keefe say softly from behind the door, his voice still hoarse from sleep. "Are you okay?"

Sophie shook her head no, leaning it back to press against the door.

"Let me in."

Sophie's answer was the same. Her breaths came out quick and unsteady, her mind spinning, she let out a choked sob.

"Please, let me in. Don't shut me out."

"I'm not . . ." Sophie had to pause for breath. "I'm okay."

"Please."

It might have been the desperation in his voice, or the quiet fear, the soft tremble of his tone, whatever it was made Sophie reach up and unlock the door.

Dramatic. Thats what the other kids at school would call her when she would cry because she was overwhelmed as a nine year old freshman.

She felt the same. Small, weak, set adrift in a sea of uncertainty with no shore in sight.

Keefe lifted her up into his arms, pressing his nose into her neck.

"I'm sorry." Sophie breathed, her voice shook. "I'm sorry for shutting you out."

"No, no, shh, it's okay."

"I-I shouldn't've . . ."

"No, don't apologize to me. It's- it's okay." He took in a deep breath, a tremor running through his body.

I did that.

"I have to go somewhere." Sophie murmured, suddenly she felt suffocated. The walls were closing around her, she needed to get out.

"Whoa, whoa," Keefe said as she tried to climb out of his arms. "Is everything okay? What's wrong? Where are you going?"

"Somewhere." Sophie breathed, "I just- I need to get out."

"Where? I can come with you."

"No, I need . . . I just need to be alone right now." When she saw Keefe's hurt look, she reached up on her toes to kiss Keefe, slow and  careful. When she pulled away she brushed a bit of his hair out of his face, "It's nothing you did, I promise. I'll be back soon, okay?"

"Okay," he said softly. "Promise me you'll be careful."

Sophie resisted the urge to roll her eyes, "I promise."