chapter 27

Midterms were coming up fast, too fast for Sophie.

Her family hadn't allowed her to go, she tried to talk her friends into sneaking her in. They didn't take.

She had a plan for everything that could possibly happen, as well as a counter plan for everything. In short, she was prepared.

"I should be there with everyone!" Sophie tried to reason with her parents for the thirteenth time that week. So far, she had had no progress in persuading them to allow her to go.

"No," Grady said sternly. "You're still not healed, which means you will be staying here with your bodyguards while your mother and I keep watch."

"Way to rub it in." Sophie muttered. It was unfair that she couldn't go, but what made it worse, was that all her friends and family would be there too.

"I only meant that you'll be safe, everything will be fine." Grady put his hand on her knee. "We're just trying to keep you safe."

"I know you are." Sophie sighed. "I just want to help. You guys can get hurt!"

Edaline sat next to Sophie. "You could get hurt too, and as-"

"I'd rather get hurt than have you guys get hurt!" Sophie cried.

They both sighed. "Well, we would rather none of us get hurt." Grady chuckled.

"As your parents, we only want what's best with you." Edaline told her comfortingly.

"I don't want to stay home and be useless anymore." Sophie begged.

"You're not useless." Grady sighed. "You're staying home, and saying safe. End of discussion."

"But-" Sophie tried.

"No. We're trying to keep you safe, why can't you understand?"

Sophie sighed, there really was no arguing with her parents.

"Fine. I'll stay home." She said quietly, she crossed her fingers behind her back. She most definitely was going to find some way to get to midterms, whether her family liked it or not.

Her parents didn't seem to catch the fact that she was crossing her fingers. "Okay, good." Edaline sighed.

Before leaving to go feed the many animals in the sanctuary of Havenfield, they each kissed her on the cheek.

Sophie couldn't help but feel disheartened. She had five talented bodyguards. How would she sneak out of the house with them with her?

"I know what you're thinking." Sandor sat next to her. "Please don't try to sneak away."

Sophie sighed. "What else can I do? I can't just leave them alone to face off the Neverseen."

"You know your parents only want to keep you safe." Sandor tried to tell her.

"I know. But I want to keep them safe." Sophie whispered. "I don't want anyone to get hurt."

"They don't want you to get hurt either. Trust that they can take care of themselves."

Sophie sighed, she could tell their conversation was going nowhere. "I understand." She nodded.

"We all care about you deeply, Miss Foster. Thank you for understanding."

Sophie smiled at him. After all the times Sandor had saved Sophie's life, and the three years he had spent protecting her, he knew her better than Sophie wanted to admit.

—————————

A few weeks had passed, Sophie was still avoiding sleep but her headaches and "incidents" were less frequent. Her parents took that as a good sign, but Sophie couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen.