The day it all went south

April 20, 20XX
Libya
Michael POV

Me and my guys just arrived in XXXX city in Libya where we believe is hiding terrorist activities. We've been in this country for about 10 months now and yet all we get are small skirmishes with the locals, they clearly don't want us here.

A voice suddenly calls out behind me "Hey man you got a light?" I turn to see Rick with a cigarette in his mouth. Rick Johnson is a good soldier, he's reliable, calm, and full of ambition since he joined at the age of 18. "Yeah, I got a light, catch." I toss my lighter to Rick "Thanks." A quick response left Rick's mouth.

I get in a Humvee with Rick on the wheel and Robert in the back I get in the front passenger seat. My team has been assigned to patrol the area around the city to make sure nobody tries to get through the checkpoint.

The Humvee roars to life and droves to the route with another Humvee in front of us, Robert keeping his eyes open along the way. Robert Brown is a great guy, he's a bit of a handful and makes some weird jokes but he's a great guy, heck he even got himself a girlfriend back home, let's hope Jodey doesn't find her.

30 minutes later...

Half an hour in our patrol and so far nothing seems out of the ordinary. That's what we thought until an I.E.D suddenly blew up the Humvee. Rick gets knocked out and Robert curses  "Oh shit, ambush!". I see Rick gets dragged out of the humvee then the door behind me opens and I get dragged out too.

Dizzy as I may be I recognize that damn face anywhere James Miller, a quiet guy that doesn't like to socialize much. I'd say the guy's weirder than Robert, once I caught him drawing a notebook full of questionable anime girls. While he may have some problems socializing he's a great shot when need be and an irreplaceable friend.

James screams at me "C'mon Mic! Enemy contact, get up!"
Gunshots soon fill my ears 'Damn did my earplugs come off?'

James sets me down on the side where I see Rick, blood coming down his head but still alive. I slowly get up and reach for my M4 then crouch down "Contact to our left!".

I try to look around us and I can see the humvee behind us was being pinned down with gunfire.

I peek up and fire a few shots at the faint muzzle flashes that appear in the dusk. I hear a sudden woosh along with a trail of smoke as an RPG rips through the Humvee behind us. "RPG! Get down!"

That was the last thing I heard before another trail of smoke makes its way to my Humvee.