23

I finally took a shower the following Saturday morning. My sheets and blankets were covered in dry mud peels from my skin that had gotten dirty. I grabbed all my dirty clothes and my grey beanie, out of my room to go clean them in the wash room just a floor below. Before I left I told myself to check on Dad, just to see if he was up. As I held the clothes in the green basket in one hand, I opened the door with my other to see that Dad was still asleep. He was also still in the clothes from last night. In the back of my mind, I could hear the cry of the green monster that loved inside my dad. And I was having a hard time believing the truth.

Though it seems like the right idea, I decide not to tell Jax and Levi for Dad's sake. Dad's been through more than anyone I ever knew could handle, and I wasn't going to jeopardize or exploit his secret to the boys who can hardly cheat on a Math test. I exit my apartment thinking what the boys would've said if I told them everything. Of course, they may not believe me, that's what happens in books and movies. When the main character has found something major to the plot, no one believes them at first. But in this situation: I'm the main character who's made the choice not to say anything about the secret. Though when that happens, something bad always comes back on the main character, putting a dent in the plot.

I made my way to the elevators with my dirty clothes in the big green basket while wearing grey leggings stained with white paint (I can't remember how they got there), and the famous 'I LOVE NYC' t-shirt. Questions I wanted to ask Dad were also the reason I couldn't sleep, and there was one major question that just kept popping up that I couldn't ignore: If Dad can't get his heart rate up, then how am I standing here today? How was I... Created.
I told myself to save that one for later. Or never.
And then, half of me is angry — which I shouldn't be. Though I had liked to know about this sooner, but then what if I did? Would Dad still be off at work with Dalia?
And right there, my body went stiff. Dalia! — oh no... — the radiation cage! I highly doubt that Dalia knows about Dad's Green Ego, but what if she does? Would she say anything? Had she already said something? Has she known since she met Dad?

I entered the empty washroom with the sound of the broken radio playing off in the corner. The five washers and dryers in the room were motionless, and waiting for someone to start them up. I felt a bit happy that no one else was in here, and it's not that I like being lonely, but besides Jax and Levi I feel as if no one else in the building likes me. Which is fine, because I don't care what people think of me, but most of the residents here are adults that are extreme slackers, and ones that think they're very prissy. Besides me, Jax, Levi and his siblings, we're practically the only kids living in this building.

I start by putting my jeans in the washer first, then pile in some other clothes. I had made two piles of clothes, but I kept the hoodie in the basket because I didn't know if I should've put it in separate. I decided to stick it in with my jeans, but when I reached in the basket, all I felt was the plastic bottom. Turning around, I almost jumped at who stood behind me.
He was shorter than four feet, black-brown curly hair and brown eyes, with a small curved nose that slightly pointed in the air. I was looking at Levi's little brother, Harrison, holding Jax's dirty hoodie.
"Harrison?" I say, gently grabbing the hoodie. "What are you doing here? Where are your siblings?" The small tan skinned boy didn't reply to me, as he grabbed the string of the hoodie.

Levi's mom, Miss. Feller, is always trying to get Harrison to speak up and actually talk to people. I've heard him say a few words, but his vocabulary mainly consists of "Yes.", "No.", and one sentence in Spanish. "Harrison, hey bud, what are you doing here all by yourself?" I ask, taking the string away from his hands.
Amazingly, he replied, "Get lost." At first I thought he was telling me off, but I realized Levi says that to his sisters when they're antagonizing him.
"Who said that to you?" I ask, hoping he'd talk again. To my luck, he did.
"Leevee." Harrison replied, twiddling his fingers. That was how he could say Levi, and it was the only way he could say it because he grew up with Miss. Feller calling him it.