"Why don't you two go play," Rose said and Varian looked at Aqua shyly but nodded.

Quirin watched the two of them run off and he smiled. He knew that those two would be good friends.

"They're so cute together!" Rose gushed as she giggled a little. "Varian's got his first friend!"

Quirin chuckled at his wife's reaction. "Yes, it seems he has found his first friend."

🧪

Varian cried as he clutched Aqua tight, cradling her body in his arms.

"You can't leave me, Aqua. I need you. I can't live without you," he sobbed into her hair.

Carmen had made the call that Aquaria was most likely never going to wake up, but Varian couldn't accept it.

"I can't lose you. I love you more than anything. Please come back to me," Varian begged desperately, afraid to let go of her.

A soft moan came from the princess as her eyes fluttered open.

"V-Varian?" Aqua murmured hoarsely and Varian froze.

"Aquaria?" He pulled back and looked down into her sparkling blue eyes. "Aquaria! Thank the stars!"

Aqua grunted as he practically squeezed the life out of her.

"I was so worried! I thought I lost you!" Tears poured down Varian's cheeks as he looked at her before he pressed a deep kiss to her lips.

Aquaria responded with her arms looping around his neck as she kissed him back.

Varian cupped her cheek, smiling into the kiss. He had kissed her a few times while she was asleep, but it just wasn't the same.

Aquaria pulled back slowly and ran a hand through his hair. "What happened?"

"You went into the Spring of Anita and you've been out for almost a month," Varian answered as he gently moved some hair out of her face, trailing the backs of his fingers along her cheek.

"Oh, I didn't even realize... there was a woman and she was testing me. She kept saying that I wasn't going to make it out unless I proved to be worthy," Aqua remembered the strange dream she had.

"All that matters is that you're okay. We're back in Corona. The king allowed me to bring a bunch of books back so you could be home," Varian explained as he held her close.

"Have you found anything new yet that could help us?" Aqua asked curiously with excitement in her eyes.

"No. I haven't looked at them yet. I didn't want to do anything without you," Varian admitted and she frowned.

"Please don't tell me that you sat by my side the whole time," Aqua said as she caressed his cheek.

"At first I did, but Orion and Cami talked some sense into me. I trained more with Carmen, but I also started voluntarily going to guard training," Varian replied with a smile, pecking her nose.

Aquaria nose scrunched up and Varian thought it was the cutest thing ever.

"I'm glad you've been training. Maybe you and I could do some sword training later," Aqua suggested as she smiled at her boyfriend happily.