Transfers

As Darren climbed the stairs, he stretched his neck and rubbed his biceps. When he got to his floor, Darren sauntered to his door, pulling it open. He tossed his bag beside the bunk and collapsed face-first into the mattress while pulling a sheet over his head. "How was your day, Maxwell?"

A hand jostled Darren, saying, "We need to talk."

With a groan, Darren flipped over and pushed himself up against the wall. He took in the packed bags on Maxwell's bunk and bolted upright. He scooted to the edge of his bed and leaned over his knees, wringing his hands. "What's going on?"

Maxwell grunted and sat down, patting the packs lying on the mattress. "I'm heading out."

"You haven't been expelled from the Academy, have you?"

An eyebrow climbed Maxwell's face as he shook his head. "Life isn't as dramatic as you make it out."

"Then explain how your possessions got packed away?" Darren asked, jabbing a finger toward the pair of duffels lying next to his friend.

Maxwell sucked his lips as he rocked one of the heavy bags. He clapped his hands together and released his breath. His gaze swept to the floor as his body shuddered, "This wasn't personal."

"When's that ever true?" Darren asked, climbing to his feet. He walked over to Maxwell's desk and found an envelope. Darren flashed the snatched letter at Maxwell. "You weren't expecting me back so soon from my extra lesson, were you?"

"No," Maxwell replied as his fingers wrapped around a duffel's handle. "You normally don't return for another hour."

Darren stalked to his bed and dropped into the mattress's embrace. He lifted the envelope and bounced it against his palm, "Do you want to tell me what's in here? Or am I supposed to wait for you to leave and read it for myself?"

Maxwell's head twisted as he focused his attention on Darren's feet. "How do you expect me to answer?"

"Since when did we have a serious issue?"

Maxwell released his grip on the bag and traced his fingers along the coarse fabric. "You're aware of my distaste of Wayne."

"And you think I'm fond of the guy!" Darren exclaimed, waving the envelope over his head. "Everything I've done has been to protect both of us from that snob."

With a nod, Maxwell lifted his hands. "Norry's tried to argue on your behalf. You're a good person, but Maxwell has become too toxic to deal with. I've even made arrangements with Imryll and Arlen to avoid the pompous fool in their classes."

Darren's eyes narrowed as he withdrew the letter from its casing and tossed the empty envelope to the floor. When he finished reading the short missive, Darren laid the scrap of paper on the mattress and folded his hands under his chin. After a few tense moments, Darren cleared his throat, "You've officially asked for a new roommate."

Maxwell nodded.

"Who are you bunking up with?"

Maxwell's head swayed while his fingers tangled together. With a gulp, the Dwarf's gaze drifted to the floor, "Don't take this personally."

"Where are you going?"

"Well," Maxwell replied, scratching behind his ear, "I arranged the swap with Roland."

Darren slammed his eyes shut, taking a deep breath through his nose. As his fists turned white, he cracked an eyelid. "Did you orchestrate everything for me to get the raw end of this arrangement?"

"You're going to have a roommate."

Darren ran his fingers through his hair and hissed. With a brief tug on his locks, Darren huffed and slammed the letter with his open palm. "Tell me you didn't arrange for me to be saddled with Wayne?"

"I'm sorry," Maxwell grabbed his duffels and rose.

The door swung open, and Roland entered the room, freezing when his gaze fell upon Darren. "What are you doing here?"

"I got back early," Darren replied, glaring at Roland. "Here to dump your undesirable roommate?"

"It's not like that," Roland muttered, backing out.

"Don't worry about it." Maxwell slung a bag over his shoulder. As the Dwarf slinked away, his shoulders hunched, but not under the sack's weight. "See you around the campus, Darren."

"With the arrangements you've put in place," Darren laid on his mattress and stared at the ceiling as he shoved his hands under his head. "I'm not entirely sure that's accurate."

Roland's eyes budged, and he took a step toward his friend, "Darren..."

But Maxwell shoved a pack into Roland's stomach as his face went slack. "We can't smooth this out now. Let's leave before Wayne shows up and makes this any worse."

Roland's hand tightened into a fist, and he tapped the doorframe. With a sharp inhalation, he spun and hurried from view.

"Are you as confused as I was?"

Darren rolled away from the door and covered his face. "Wayne, to say I'm surprised would be the understatement of my life. You realize nobody in the Academy wants anything to do with you, right?

"It doesn't matter what those peasants think about me," Wayne answered, shaking his head.

Darren sighed and pounded the wall. "The teachers aren't too fond of you either."

"While the professors are more tolerable than our classmates," Wayne muttered as he covered his nose. "I'm not losing any sleep over their disinterest in me." He dropped his bags onto his bed and offered Darren a hand. "To be honest, that's a skill you should sharpen. You'll need it later in life."

Darren rolled over and slapped the arm down, "I don't want to hear any of your advice."

"Could I persuade you into going into town for the evening?"

"I'll pass," Darren hissed as his eyes sharpened into twin daggers.

"Come on," Wayne said, clapping his hands. "There are more enjoyable ways to celebrate this fresh chapter, and it won't cost you anything."

"You're going to hound me until I agree?"

A broad smile split Wayne's face, "That's likely."

Darren hissed, punching his mattress, "Fine, let's go."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoyed this story, please comment and vote. Also, consider checking out my Patreon site for more flash fiction

https://www.patreon.com/stevenpmeehan