Observations

Darren slammed a book onto the table as the bags under his eyes darkened. "This may be a different subject than Volodar's required reading." Darren's fingers pressed against his temples as his eyelids sagged. "But after a couple nights filled to the brim with obscure texts, it's all blurring together. Are you hungry?"

"You're always hungry."

Darren rubbed the back of his neck as he stared into Lia's pale blue eyes. "Don't go twisting my words into a statement that I didn't make."

Lia reached out and pinched the peel with her fingertips. Lifting it up, she waggled it in front of Darren's nose. "This isn't something I ate."

"An odd snack means nothing." Darren snatched the trash and tossed it into a trashcan. As the peal vanished, Darren's fingers bounced against the table's edge.

"Uh-huh."

"All that proves is I snack. It doesn't mean I'm constantly eating like you're claiming." He grabbed her textbook and grinned as he looked at each side before tossing it back.

Lia pulled her textbook toward her and winked. "By the way, I don't know what you are complaining about." She touched the cover to her forehead, hiding a smirk. "Keeping these subjects separate isn't all that difficult."

"Are you mocking me?"

The textbook thumped against the table while Lia covered her mouth, stifling a laugh.

"If you're not teasing me." Darren leaned across the table and lowered his voice. "Please explain your remark."

With a warm smile, Lia placed her book beside Darren's stack and traced the titles. Lia shrugged and tapped it as light sparkled off her eyes. "Hasn't anyone told you that making assumptions is a dubious thing?"

"Then please explain how I should take your comment."

Lia's tongue poked through her lips, intensifying her smirk. She took the top volume from the pile and placed it on the table as she propped her chin onto her hands. "All you need to do, is consider the differences in our books. Yours are slightly more advanced than mine."

Darren's head sank as his breath rushed out of him. "Eventually, you are going to be in my position."

Lia's finger touched each of the tomes of Darren's stack as her lips curled into a sultry smile. "While I am progressing, thanks to your help. It's doubtful that any of the professors are lining up to give me private lessons."

"Wait until you're balancing the special classes with your regular ones."

Lia sunk into her chair and shrugged. "Despite your support, I'm struggling with basic skills."

"Everyone gets personal instruction with at least one instructor, during their time at the Academy." Darren caressed his books with his fingers and moistened his lips. "It just takes time?"

Laughter bubbled out of Lia as she pulled her book into her lap. Lia reached out and caressed his cheek with her fingernail. "You're not fooling me, since you agreed to accept those special sessions?"

Darren rolled his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. "That's beside the point."

"If you say so." Lia covered her mouth as laughter filled the room. Unfortunately, Darren's grunt intensified Lia's giggling. When she finally reigned in her mirth, Lia tapped a nostril. "I remember your behavior when I first arrived."

"Nothing has changed since then."

Lia's head cocked as she shook her hands. "You aren't here every night digging into your subjects."

Darren ran his fingers through his hair and blew out a breath. "I'm constantly studying."

Lia reached out and thumped his pile of books. "I am not saying you haven't been studious. But according to the various rumors circling around the campus you've been taking plenty of trips into the city for extracurricular activities."

Darren whacked his forehead and dragged his palm down his face. As his fingers clenched into a fist, he shoved a knuckle into his mouth. "Listening to random gossip is a dangerous habit to develop."

A finger shot up as Lia's eyes widened. "Fortunately, Wayne and I have friends in the city, who've confirmed the tall tales floating among our classmates."

Darren's eyelids sank as he massaged his temples with his knuckles.

"Given all of those extraneous jaunts into the city," Lia said as she laid a hand on Darren's thigh. "It's not surprising that you're a little worn down."

Darren tapped the textbook with his fingertips as he rose. "You've deftly sidestepped my original question."

"And what would that be?"

Darren walked past her and opened the fridge. His nose scrunched as he moved the sparse contents about the shelves. He slammed the door and leaned against the refrigerator, his fingers tapping against the appliance. "Are you craving anything?"

With a sign, Lia looked over her shoulder, studying the wall clock. "Considering we've officially missed dinner at the cafeteria." Lia twisted around in the chair, placing the book on the seat's back and pointed at the refrigerator. "Based on your frustration, I'll guess the fridge is empty or useless."

"There's nothing in there that can be considered a full meal."

"If that's the case, are you planning on escorting me into the city to find a restaurant?"

With a smile, Darren walked to the coat rack and removed their jackets off the hooks. He slipped into his and laid the other across a shoulder.

Lia's face widened a little as she wriggled into her cushion.

Darren glided across the floor and gripped the back of her seat. He pulled the chair away from the table and offered her a hand.

She accepted it and rose to her feet as she snatched the jacket and flung it across her shoulders. When she finished securing the coat, Lia wrapped her arms around Darren's upper arm. "Is there a restaurant that you have in mind? Or will we be spending most of our evening searching for one?"

With a broad smile, Darren escorted her to the door. "If you're not craving anything, then I think we'll be wandering the city waiting for inspiration to hit."