Brash Defiance

Volodar clutched his hands behind his back as he eyed the five boys arrayed before him. The instructor stopped next to Darren and sneered at the boy. He turned and locked eyes upon Darren and crooked his finger. "Come here, Darren."

Darren's head dragged as he slogged towards the teacher. He glanced over his shoulders and asked, "Why do you demonstrate everything on me?"

"Does it matter?" Volodar inquired, pointing at the four remaining boys.

Darren widened his stance and prepared himself for the demonstration. "It'd be nice if you picked on someone else now and then."

With a wicked grin, Volodar sauntered back to the line of students and placed a hand on Maxwell and Norry, saying, "One pair." Then he ambled over to Samil and Roland and rested his hands on their shoulders. "The other."

"I'm the odd man out," Darren grumbled.

"You are," Volodar said with a resounding clap. "It's good that this basic fact isn't too much for your mind to process. If it were, Leodor might agree that you don't belong in the Academy."

"Can't you pair me with a student instead of tormenting me?"

Volodar ignored the question and addressed the class. "Today, we work on throws." The slender elf laid a hand upon Darren's shoulder as he went on, "This is an important skill for you to master. If done properly, your opponent will be at your mercy." Taking a step away from Darren, Volodar commanded, "Hit me."

Without hesitation, Darren swung his fist at Volodar's face. But the lithe instructor blocked the attack with his forearm. Before Darren yanked it away, Volodar's deft fingers grasped the boy's wrist. "Class come and study my grip. The correct technique is pivotal."

The other students drew closer to the pair and examined the first stage of the throw. As they studied the proper position, Darren watched them try to mimic the grasp on their forearms.

With his free hand, Volodar adjusted the hold of each of the boys. "Excellent, now back up and watch."

The pupils retreated and waited with bated breath for the demonstration.

With a private grin, Volodar threw his hips under Darren's side. Whipping his head around Volodar, scrutinized each student and asked, "Did you see it?"

The others answered with affirmatives.

"Let me show you one more time," Volodar said, pulling himself out from under Darren. "Pay attention." He lowered his haunches while keeping his grip on Darren's wrist. "This is crucial, boys. The lower you get, the easier the throw will be. Do you see how low I've gotten?"

"Yes," Norry chirped.

The elven teacher looked at his other students and waited.

"We do, Volodar," Maxwell quipped.

"It's instructor Selorn, Mr. Creegan," Volodar corrected. As the dwarf retreated, the elf returned his attention to Darren and threw his hips under the boy's body. "Did everyone see that movement, or do I need to repeat it?"

"Can you do it again," Norry answered with a sparkle in his eyes. The boy inched toward the pair and continued, "But please slow it down."

"Yes, Norry," Volodar said. He withdrew himself from under Darren. "Come closer to get a proper look." When the boys circled in, Volodar repeated the motion as slowly as possible. "Was that better?"

"I'm sorry, sir, but I couldn't follow that," Norry said with a smile.

"We're good instructor Selorn," Samil said as he shoved the halfling.

"If you insist," Volodar answered, returning his attention to the student in his hands. "The next step is the actual throw. You're lifting your legs while you pull with your arms. It doesn't take much. Now watch me. It would be tragic if I needed to repeat the toss." Before any of the students could reply, the elf tossed Darren to the matt.

At the impact, the boy wheezed, and the pressure vanished from his wrist.

"I want each of you to attempt the throw with your partner," Volodar declared as he lifted Darren from the floor. He spun Darren around and whispered, "You get to try that with me. Prepare yourself."

Darren tried to prepare himself, but while he waited, he started grinding his teeth as he attempted to block out the sounds echoing from his classmates. He tried to relax, but when the instructor's fist flew, Darren couldn't move his arm fast enough. Before striking Darren, Volodar's hand opened, and he shifted the blow to connect with Darren's forehead.

"Didn't you get faster when you dropped that extra weight?" Volodar asked while Darren readied himself again. "I'll try to slow my punches. But I cannot promise that it will assist you."

Darren gritted his teeth and prepared again. He took a long breath and flew into action the moment the instructor moved. When the boy's arm intercepted the punch, he snatched Volodar's wrist and threw the lithe elf into the ground. A smile blossomed across Darren's face as he shoved Volodar's shoulder and hissed, "I don't appreciate bullies."

Volodar flinched as he tried to lift his student.

With a forceful shove, Darren glared into the teacher's eyes and murmured, "And that's all you are."

Volodar grimaced and snarled shoving at Darren. Unfortunately, the student possessed all the leverage. Undeterred, the elven instructor growled while gripping Darren's shirt. "You better show me the proper respect."

"I won't tolerate you bullying me," Darren whispered as he leaned into the teacher.

With a glare, Volodar twisted out of Darren's grasp and latched upon the boy. With an utterance, electricity arced through Volodar's hand and into Darren throwing the student across the room. The rest of the pupils halted their practice and stared at Darren as he climbed to his feet. He wiped his mouth with his sleeve and asked, "Can I try the throw again, instructor Selorn?"

Under Volodar's withering glare, the other students resumed their practice. The elf strode up to Darren, whispering, "Don't do that again."

"Then be a teacher," Darren retorted as he prepared himself for another attack.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this story please comment and vote. Also, consider checking out my Patreon site for more flash fiction

https://www.patreon.com/stevenpmeehan