Conspiring

Silence thundered throughout the stairwell as Maxwell pulled the door open. He hung in the doorway, taking several deep breaths as his eyes flitted about the darkened rooms nearby. Maxwell swallowed a lump as the stillness loomed over him. He released the handle and rubbed the back of his neck as he entered the hallway. "Why would anyone choose to live alone?"

Silence answered Maxwell's musing as he strolled down the hall. When he approached Darren's room, Maxwell heard voices creeping out from under Darren's door. Maxwell licked his lips and inched closer to Darren's room.

"I need you to come into the city tomorrow night," a mysterious voice demanded.

Maxwell stopped and examined the empty corridor before pressing his ear against the door.

Laughter died off as Darren replied, "You'll have to wait a few days. My professors have piled an enormous amount of work onto my plate and they won't let me leave to support your latest endeavor."

Thud!

The strange voice rushed on, filling the temporary silence. "The plan won't work without you being there."

Maxwell stepped back and reexamined the empty hallway. He rubbed his jaw and eased his ear against the wooden door as he pressed his hands against the wall.

"Randall, knock it off," a clap emphasized the point. "I understand your problem with my overloaded schedule. But I'm not jeopardizing my place at the Academy to assist you in this craziness."

Maxwell bit his lips as he knocked and opened the door. "I'm sorry for interrupting," Maxwell poked his head through the opening and ignored Randall. He pressed his shoulder against the frame and smiled. "But Darren, I have a message for you."

"What are you doing here?" Darren smoothly rose from his chair and stepped between Maxwell and Randall. With a groan, Darren shoved his forehead into his hands and squeezed. "I thought we settled everything when you dumped Wayne in my lap."

"It wasn't personal," Maxwell slipped into the room and leaned against the wall. "You shouldn't take things so personally. Leodar doesn't like leaving students by themselves." He lifted his arms and looked about the room. "Though it would appear that you swayed him on that point."

"Why are you here?"

Maxwell stepped to his right and focused on the man sitting behind Darren. "Is he a new student?"

Darren walked forward and righted Maxwell, "I've been polite, but I'm not exactly thrilled to see you. So please stop trying to avoid answering my question."

With a sigh, Maxwell folded his arms across his chest and closed his eyes. "Lia, sent me up here looking for you. Apparently, you're late for your study session. I didn't realize you two were on good terms." The Dwarf opened an eyebrow and huffed, "Though since she's a friend of Wayne, I shouldn't be surprised."

Randall hopped out of his chair, crossed the room, spun Darren around, and grabbed his shirt. With a jerk, Randall yanked Darren's face next to his, "Are you blowing me off to spend time with a chick?"

Darren lifted a finger, "Maxwell, if you'll give me a moment." Darren's fingertip moved to Randall's shoulder and pushed him away. "Randall, I've already told you that over the next few days, there's simply too much work with stiff deadlines."

"And you're planning on doing all of that in a private study session?"

Darren huffed and spun, yanking the door open. He gripped Maxwell and shoved him out of the room. "Thank you for delivering Lia's message. Let her know that I'll be down soon."

Maxwell whirled around and slammed his hand against the closing door. He inhaled sharply as his stern gaze latched upon Darren. "What happened to your claim that you and Wayne have nothing in common?"

Darren's eyes narrowed as he pressed a finger against Maxwell's sternum. He bent down, placing his head next to Maxwell's ear, "I'm not arrogant." With another shove, Darren knocked Maxwell's hand off the door and slammed it shut. He pressed his forehead against the wood and rose his voice, "Inform Lia that I'll be with her shortly for our study session." Without waiting for Maxwell's answer, Darren mumbled an incantation and snapped his fingers. A red glow exploded from his fingertip and raced to cover the walls, ceiling, and floor.

"What was that?"

Darren smiled and returned to his seat, "A spell to keep anyone from listening in."

"Why didn't you cast that spell when I arrived?"

Darren clapped hands together as he leaned forward, "The isolation of my room typically removes that necessity." He huffed as he pushed against his chair, forcing its feet against the flooring with a loud thump. "If you want my help with this endeavor, postpone it until my schedule allows me to get into the city."

Randall ground his teeth and clenched his fists. His eyes fluttered as he stood up, "My plans cannot be changed. This operation has to happen tomorrow night, and we cannot do it without you."

Darren shook his head and snapped, and the glow hugging the surfaces rushed back into his fingers. He walked over to the door and pulled it open, finding Maxwell glaring up at him. "Randall, can you find your way out of the Academy?"

"Yeah," Randall muttered as he slid his chair under a desk. "So, I won't see you tomorrow?"

"Our professors have dumped enough work on Lia and I to occupy us for the foreseeable future." Darren spun Maxwell around and shoved him, "I'll call you in a few days." Darren ignored Maxwell's grunts of protest and squeezed the Dwarf's shoulder, "Did you enjoy trying to eavesdrop on my private conversation?"

"What are you and Randall conspiring about?"

Darren guided Maxwell into the stairwell, clapping his back. "I was talking with an old friend, when you delivered Lia's message, nothing more." As they reached the ground floor, Darren pushed the door open with a smirk and a false mocking salute, "See you around campus."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this story, please comment and vote. Also, consider checking out my Patreon site for more flash fiction
https://www.patreon.com/stevenpmeehan