Chapter 5

_Louis_

Awkward. And scary, that was the only way to describe the look that Harry just gave me, as he got into his car four doors down from me. Usually we never came out the same time as each other (I was usually late on purpose, to avoid people), and when we did, he didn't even look my way. At school, he had no problem beating the shit out of me, but here, in our own neighbourhood, I didn't even exist to him. 

But today...today, he turned, and looked right at me across the hood of his car, his green eyes boring into me, like there was something he was trying to tell that I wasn't getting. The look was so strong, and so nerve wracking, I dropped my keys. I knelt down to pick them up, and by the time I was standing straight again, Harry was halfway down the street. I shook the memory out of my head, too confused by it.

My phone beeped, and I looked down at the screen, opening my new message.

Hey babe...can I call you that? Meet you outside your first period class

xoxo Ryan

I smiled at the message, butterflies suddenly fluttering. What was wrong with me? 

Well I knew the answer to that. Something was finally going right. In my world, that never happened. The only good I had in my world was my mum, my sisters, and Niall. Everything else, literally, sucked. Nothing was bright, or happy, or exciting anymore. Not since six years ago. 

Even this. Even now, I was petrified I was going to mess this up. The one good thing I could potentially have in my school related life, I know I'll find a way to ruin. It's what I'm best at, I'm sure of it. And the thought quickly shot the butterflies out of my stomach. Those were signs of hope- and right now, was too early for that. 

Still... when I saw him waiting for me, his head bobbing up and down in time with the music blasting in his headphones, I felt myself smile. He had waited for me, even though I was late, and now he would be too.

When I got close to him, I stopped, tapping his arm lightly and making him jump (which made me jump in return). He laughed, turning around to give me a huge hug. Damn, he smelled....amazing. Piney, rich, earth smelling. I hesistantly wrapped my own arms around him.

"I missed you!" He said, chuckling in my ear. I blushed, for some stupid reason. 

"Yeah...me too." I murmured into his chest (he really was very tall).  He let go of me, and checked his watch.

"I'm sorry, but I have to get to class- I'll see you at lunch, alright? Can we...maybe go out somewhere? The pizza place down the street maybe?" He asked. I nodded enthusiastically, and he played with my hair before walking quickly down the hall.

Did that make it sort of like a mini...date? But, tons of people went to the pizza place in pairs...this was nothing special. Again, smack that hope down. I sighed as I stepped into my first period class, opening my backpack as I was making my way to my seat. All of a sudden I was sprawled out on the floor, groaning as I landed heavily on something that hurt like a bitch. I got up slowly picking my stuff up with me, blushing as I heard people snicker. 

"Watch where you're going numbnut." I heard Zayn mutter, trying not to laugh. Mr. Carl- my english teacher- just stood there, waiting for me to get to my seat at the back so he could continue his lesson. 

"Sorry." I mumbled, rushing to my seat. Why was my life always like that. Right when something good finally happened to me, something twice as bad would happen in return. It wasn't fair. 

I only hoped that that wouldn't be proven true for Ryan and I.

***

"Indian today?" Ryan asked, winding his hand through my own.  I smiled, nodding happily as we headed to my locker to put my stuff away.