Rengoku x Reader

I basically made this on a whim :P
Type: Angst with a happy ending
Back to story

"You light up my life, your my sunshine!" (Y/n) smiled sweetly. At least... that's what she used to do. Rengoku had been wondering why (Y/n) had been so distant from him. She used to shower him with love, but now she doesn't usually spare him a passing glance.

"(Y/n)!" Rengoku called out to his 2 year long girlfriend. (Y/n) verbally grumbled but the (b/c) pillar turned around none the less.

"Yes? I'm busy." (Y/n) said flatly. Rengoku was slightly taken back by her tone, but his it with a smile.

"I wanted to ask if you wanted to watch the sunset with me!" Rengoku smiled.

"I'm good. I have something to do." (Y/n) said flatly, not even trying to hide her disinterest. Rengoku felt like his heart was crushed, for he had wanted to spend quality time with his girlfriend. Along with the fact that, a sunset was where the confessed to each other.

"Oh ok..." Rengoku said sadly, but he tried to hide it with a forced smile.

"Are we done here?" (Y/n) asked obviously wanting to leave. Rengoku simply nodded, not trusting his voice to talk for him.

As soon as she walked away Rengoku slightly broke down.

Tears spilled from his eyes, "Why? Did I do something wrong?" Rengoku thought miserably to himself. He didn't understand why their relationship has gotten to this point.

Eventually he got up, and put on his bright smile and went back to their shared estate.

(Y/n) wasn't home till late that night, "Where'd you go (Y/n)?" Rengoku asked curiously.

"On a mission." (Y/n) said flatly. She laid down on their shared bed after changing. Keep in mind she laid pretty far away from Rengoku, when she used to cuddle up close to the flame pillars warmth.

"Goodnight (Y/n) love you." Rengoku said sadly.

"Goodnight." (Y/n) said in a bored voice.

"Don't break down here, not when she's here." Rengoku thought holding tears. He was devastated not hearing her say I love you back. He pushed the thoughts out of his mind and forced himself into an uneasy sleep.

Tomorrow

Rengoku woke up to an empty bed next to him. He sighed sadly, this was becoming a common occurrence lately.

"I should surprise her!" Rengoku thought to himself. He got up and made (Y/n) homemade (f/f), just how she likes it. "Better get going now!" Rengoku thought happily to himself.

Rengoku remembered that he overheard (Y/n)'s crow say that she was needed at the serpent estate. Rengoku then started his walk there, with the homemade bento he had made.

At serpent estate

Rengoku knocked on the door, though no one came to answer the door. He tried the door, and saw that it was unlocked.

Rengoku walked in, "Hebe are you going to break up with him?" He heard Obanai's voice say. Rengoku's eyes widened and put his ear to the shoji door.

"I will, but he keeps clinging to me, no matter how much I try and push him away." He heard (Y/n)'s voice say. Rengoku couldn't believe his ears, when (Y/n) slid open the shoji door.

"Oh Rengoku how long have you been standing there?" (Y/n) asked nonchalantly. Though Rengoku's usually fiery eyes were spilling tears, and he dropped the bento.

"Why do you want to break up with me? I-I did I do something wrong?" Rengoku cried with a cracking voice.

(Y/n) just stared at him uninterested, "No... I guess I just fell out of love." (Y/n) said like it was so obvious.

Rengoku's heart stopped...

"You're not my sunshine anymore."

"RENGOKU!" He then snapped awake. He looked rapidly around, coming face to face with a drowsy looking (Y/n).

Rengoku instantly hugged (Y/n), "Please don't leave me!" (Y/n) guessed he had a bad dream, for she'd awaken to him tossing and turning with tears rolling down his face.

"It's alright Kyo I'm here." (Y/n) said gently, brushing her fingers through his hair, helping him calm down.

Rengoku eventually calmed down, and realized he was just dreaming.

"I'm s-sorry for waking you." Rengoku said weakly.

"Hush, don't say that!" (Y/n) lightly scolded. She then moved so Rengoku was the small spoon. Usually he spooned her, but tonight he was the one that needed to be spooned.

"Good night (Y/n)  I-I love you." Rengoku said hesitantly. He was nervous and wanted to see if he truly was dreaming before.

"I love you to my sunshine."