Chapter 1- Every Journey Starts with One Step

I woke up early one cool July morning. I sat up and stretched my sore muscles, humming softly. I got out of my bunk as quietly as possible, although it creaked. I started to tip-toe toward the door.

"Where ya goin'?

I jumped and whipped around. Race sat up and smirked at me.

"Race! Ya scared da livin' daylights outta me!"
I whispered harshly, smacking him in the leg.

"Hey, hey! I'm sorry. But where ya goin'?"

"Just out ta get some fresh air! I know youse ma brudda, but ya don't need ta be on top of me all da time!"

"I know, I know, but youse the only family I have left. I can't lose ya."

"I know. But I'm just gettin some fresh air."

"Ok, ok, I hear ya."

He gave me a quick hug before climbing back into his bunk. I tucked my hair in my hat and crept to the window, quietly slipping out of the newsies Lodging House and onto the fire escape.

Racetrack was just looking out for me. He was the only newsie who knew I was a girl, but only because I was his little sister. He was only older by 1 year, but he took that as a reason to be extra protective of me. It was great, but sometimes I wish he'd loosen up.

I climbed up to the roof in a matter of seconds. They didn't call me the Leapin' Lemur for nothing. When I stepped on the roof, I took in a deep breath of the air. 

I couldn't wait to get out of here. Hiding myself, scrounging for food and money, I was sick of it. I just wanted to be free from New York.

I turned to the street and took a deep breath, breathing out all my troubles. I looked down at the roads and the buildings. One day, me and my brother would be able to leave this dump. Some day.

Jack was always talking about this place called Santa Fe. His parents were out there looking for a ranch. He talked about it constantly, saying how perfect it was there. Sounds unrealistic, yet amazing.

I smiled at the dream of Santa Fe when we heard Kloppman waking the other newsies up. 

"I betta get down there," I mumbled as I climbed down the fire escape and snuck back inside.

I ran to my bunk and leapt up, grabbing my necklace I kept under the pillow. My mother gave it to me when I was 2, and it was my last memory of her. I had kept it close to my heart, and now I had to hide it. I didn't want the boys to see it and figure out I'm a girl.

I slipped it on and started to get ready for the day. I pulled my shirt on, careful not to reveal my necklace. I put my jacket on and tied my signature blue neckerchief around my neck.
The other newsies began to get ready as well.

Race went to his bedside table when he noticed his cigar was missing. He looked up to see Snipeshooter with the end in his mouth.

"That's my ciga'!" Racetrack cried.

"You'll steal anotha." Snipes replied.

"Hey bummas we got work to do." I called to them.

"Since when did you become me motha?" Specs snapped, causing me to smirk.

"Ah, stop your bawlin'!" Crutchie called down the hallway.

"Hey, who asked you?" We all cried back.

Moments later, we're all in the washroom, the boys shaving and washing their faces.

"How'd ya sleep, Jack?" Mush asked.