Stumps and Bruises

Start from the beginning

"No, and some of them had families," Alden informed. "One guy had a new kid; there's no way they up and left them."

"Piper Two, please respond!" The radio continued.

"So, what do you think's goin' on?" Rick asked.

"Ain't it obvious?" I scoffed, they've either gone off on their own, died on the way there, or they're plannin' somethin' against us."

"These are the people you vouched for, Michaela."

"I didn't vouch for all of 'em, I said some of 'em had no choice and were innocent, and I stand by that."

"Well, we disarmed the Sanctuary for a reason."

"Which is another reason why the Sanctuary is getting worried," Alden added.

"Piper Two, do you read?!" The radio continued.

"There are more of them here than from anywhere else, and they're scared. If they wind up deciding that they're safer back home, this entire thing's a wash."

"Well, I'll make sure they're protected," Rick insisted.

"They work for you, you protect them. Who's that sound like to you, Rick?" Rick furrowed his eyebrows at Alden, he had stepped over the line...but he was right. I've said it from the beginning, Rick and Negan are more alike than they realize.

"Piper Two, come in! Do you copy? Please respond!" Rick finally picked up his radio and butted into the frequency.

"Bertie, what's goin' on out there?" Rick grumbled.

"That second siren isn't going off." Bertie answered. "If the herd isn't pulled soon, they're gonna run right into our crew."

"Goddamn it," Rick grumbled.

"What did I tell ya?" I scoffed. "Fucker's worthless on important shit. Next time, keep 'em on construction or give 'em latrine duty."

"Not the time, Michaela." Rick turned to Alden. "Go back to camp and gather some people and get to the wood yard as fast as you can. If that second siren doesn't sound, they're gonna need our help."

"Got it," Alden nodded and ran off towards the camp as Rick ran in the opposite direction, I instantly followed.

"Michaela, stay in camp!"

"I'm comin' to help ya," I argued.

"Michaela—"

"My friends are out there, Rick, my husband is there, and I ain't gonna just sit back and hope for the best! I'm comin', and ya can't stop me." Rick let out a frustrated sigh, but stopped arguing. I could hear the walker snarls grow louder as we neared the camp, rapid footsteps behind us told me that the others had caught up with us, and Alden brought a lot of arms. "Everyone, mind your aim, it's gonna be close quarters!" I could hear screaming in the distance, causing my heart to sink. Was someone bit? I hoped no one was...I hoped it wasn't Daryl. A twinge of relief filled me as I caught sight of Daryl, but he was helping someone whose arm was covered in blood. "Aaron..."

Bertie was the first one to fire off an arrow, which pierced the skull of the walker that was right behind Daryl and Aaron. Daryl and Aaron hobbled over towards us and watched as everyone made quick work of taking out the herd. "What are ya doin' here?" Daryl asked.