Work to Do

I stared up at the gates of Hilltop in silence, they didn't know I was here yet. I didn't want them to; I wanted a moment alone so I could get my head on straight. On my way here, I ran into some walkers and took them out, but I also had Negan's words berating me in my head. Turn back, let the others deal with it, it's not your problem. I wanted so badly to turn back and go home...but I couldn't. I was there when Jesus died, I saw the look in his eyes, the horror on everyone's faces. This was my problem, this was all of our people's problem...and we all needed to take care of it.

I readjusted the hat on my head, a simple military camouflage patrol hat that I found in the supply building where I stopped off to grab some food, a bottle of water, and some ammo. At the last minute, I saw the hat hanging on a nearby hook. I nearly shit myself when I saw it, I thought someone was standing there.

~FLASHBACK~

I quickly tossed some supplies into my bag. A couple of extra magazines for my 9mm, some arrows for my attachment bow, and the rest of my attachments for my prosthetic; I kept them here to keep Harper out of them once we moved back to Alexandria. I headed over to the pantry side of the storage unit and began grabbing as much food as I thought necessary, opting for the dehydrated meat, fruit, some nuts, a couple of granola bars, and a bottle of water.

While packing, I remembered when Mark let me try one of his MREs he brought back from his military base; beef taco. It wasn't the greatest, so I opted for a bowl of Fruit Loops instead. As much as MREs would change the game, I was thankful that we were okay on food and didn't need to resort to such measures. Once I gathered everything I needed, I tossed them into my bag and zipped it up. I slung the strap onto my shoulder and turned to leave, but stopped in my tracks. A small hat sat off to the side of the storage unit; a military hat.

"Abraham," I sighed. I walked over to it and removed it from the hook. I vaguely remember Abraham wearing it, but I mostly remember him just showing off his orange curls. I missed him so much. I brought the hat to my nose and inhaled, smiling as the faint scent of cigars and musk filled my nose. His scent was fading, but it was still there.

"You alright?" I looked up at the doorway and grumbled to myself as Dante came into view.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Going somewhere?" Dante asked.

"Out."

"Where?"

"To get my fuckin' nails done," I scoffed.

"Why do you hate me so much?"

"Who said I hated ya?"

"You didn't need to, it's obvious."

"I don't hate you, I just don't like ya."

"Okay, why?"

"Ya really wanna know?" Dante smiled and gave me a nod. "Okay, fine. You're a pig."

"A pig?"

"Yes, a pig. Ya keep tryin' to get with damn near every woman here when ain't nobody interested. Sure, you're a good doctor and a pretty face, but that won't get ya far here. What gets ya far here in Alexandria is hard work, dedication, and respect. When ya keep chasin' women like your dick is gonna fall off if ya don't use it, ya start to get annoyin'."

"I'm annoying?"

"Annoyin', pretentious, perverted, and completely overbearin'. But hey, keep up the good work in the doctor's office." I pushed him out of the way so I could lock up the storage unit. "As I said, you're a great doctor, but ya gotta work on that personality of yours." Dante suddenly gripped my wrist. Without hesitation, I quickly turned and pinned him to the door, my prosthetic pressing hard into his jugular. "Keep your fuckin' hands off me."