Testimonies

"Tell me again," Jesus insisted.

"Jesus, it's been hours," I groaned. "And they didn't even come back."

"Which means they got held up and didn't want to travel at night. Which also means they'll want to do this early tomorrow. You have to be prepared." I let out a sigh of frustration. "Tell me again."

"I was makin' lunch for the kids and I heard what sounded like somethin' fallin', so I went to check it out."

"What did you find?"

"I found Harper and Hershel in the playpen and Elijah in the livin' room havin' a grand mal seizure; Judith was watchin', not sure what was goin' on or what to do about it."

"What did you do?"

"Goin' by what I knew from my time workin' the infirmary, I knew I couldn't do much until it was over, so I just kept 'em safe by protectin' his head."

"What happened next?"

"He slowly came back around when it stopped, told me that he ran out of his medicine. So, I told 'em to relax and stay put and I'd get the stuff to make some more."

"And did you?"

"No, Rosita prevented me. I left a note for Siddiq because I didn't want to mess up the ledger. I only took enough to make the oil and then some. Seein' that the shelf life on it is a little over a year, I thought  it'd be more practical to have more on hand just in case he ran out again."

"Makes sense. What did Rosita do?"

"I tried to explain it to 'er, but when I didn't get on my knees, she shot at me."

"She shot at you?"

"Yeah. Missed, thankfully, but I don't think she was really shootin' to kill me, but just to show me she was serious. After that, I got locked in that cell until Daryl let me out."

"And you're sure that's the entire story?"

"That's the story I'm tellin', the true story."

"What about you and Rosita after Rick and the others left again?"

"Won't need to be told unless Rosita mentions anythin'."

"You need to go over that story, too."

"No, I don't," I argued. "Jesus, I'm tired and don't wanna deal with this shit anymore."

"Michaela—"

"Don't you get it?" I snapped. "They're lookin' for a reason to have me locked up! Everyone around 'em has been bitchin' about how they don't trust me, how they're afraid of me, and then this happens! I will be locked up, innocent or not just because it'll make everyone else feel safer!"

"I won't let that happen," Jesus insisted.

"Ya can't do shit, Jesus! Ya couldn't even see through Gregory's bullshit speech at the funeral!"

"What are you—"

"Ya honestly believed that lil' shit? He don't give a damn about anyone but himself! Now, all of a sudden, he's no longer the leader and he's startin' to give a damn? Not likely!" I let out a sigh and rise to my feet. "Forget it."

"Where are you going?"

"Back to my cell whee I 'belong'. Think ya can keep an eye on the kids until Maggie gets back?"

"Michaela..." Jesus sighed. "Yeah, I'll watch them." I quietly made my way outside and shut the door behind me. Some people were still in the yard talking, others had already gone to bed. Off in the distance, I saw Maggie talking to Gregory, taking Hershel out for his nightly stroll. It was his bedtime, he should've been in bed a little while ago, but Maggie had a lot on her plate as it is; she probably just needed to spend time with him to unwind from today's events. Maggie began to walk away, but instead of heading towards the building, she walked off towards the graves. Gregory glanced up towards me and reluctantly made his way towards me.