My mom let out a hearty laugh, "No problem, next time I'll bring them over."

Having tea parties on Sunday afternoons was a common affair with my mom, the tea-set I was using today was a new one, I received recently for my fifth birthday from my Papa.

"Some more, please." My mom asked, sliding her cup over to me.

I picked up the little teapot and poured the faux tea into her cup. While doing so, I blurted, "Daddy is getting married."

I handed her the cup again and she didn't seem to notice the teacup and saucer, so I dropped it on the table in front of her.

"Oh." She softly said.

"To, um... to that girlfriend of his?" She asked after a moment of silence.

I nodded, "Yeah to Mandy, they asked me to be a flower girl for the wedding."

She took in a deep breath before asking, "How do you feel about all of this?"

I shrugged, "Mandy is nice," I smiled before continuing, "She buys me ice cream and paints my nails pretty colors."

"But?" My mom asked, studying my features, she knew me so well.

"I'm scared," I muttered in a small voice.

A frown set on her forehead when she asked, "For what?"

I twiddled with my thumbs and looked at her from under my lashes, "Daddy says Mandy is going to be my stepmom, and I'm scared she's going to be like Cinderella's and Snow White's stepmom."

I was feeling sad as I thought about it, "I don't want to clean Daddy's big house all by myself and then eat a poisoned apple." My eyes were wide in horror when I finished.

My mom walked around the little table and crouched down next to me, so we were eye-level with one another. She wrapped an arm around me and looked at me when she said, "I am certain Mandy is not an evil stepmom, you just said she's so nice and daddy would never allow anyone to hurt you."

"But, in the stories..." I was so convinced all stepmoms were like the ones in the stories.

"They're just stories," She replied, "We need to believe there are more good people in this world than bad."

"And do you know what the difference is between those princesses and you?" She asked.

I shrugged, "They're princesses and I'm not."

"Nonsense," She stated, "You're our little Princess Mila – no scrap that, you're a queen and I want you to never drop that crown on your head."

I touched the top of my head, "I don't have a crown."

She smiled, "You'll understand when you're older," She then changed that topic, "The difference between those Princesses and you, is their mom's died, your mommy is still here and I will never allow anyone to illtreat you."

That made sense, I had my mommy, something Cinderella and Snow White didn't. That's why I loved my mommy, she was so smart and always knew how to make me feel better.

I smiled widely at her, "Do you promise to never leave me?"

"Of course, I will never leave you." She answered without a second thought.

"Even when I'm a big girl and can drive my own car?" I asked.

She nodded, "Even when you're the biggest girl, I will be there. I want to see my princess grow up to be the queen you're destined to be, I want to see you graduate school and college and then I want to walk you down the aisle – because mommies can do that too."