125. between life and death

Start from the beginning

But suddenly, I felt fear and confusion course through my veins. This was too good to be true.

My brother seemed to note my sudden change in demeanour and he gave me a knowing smile. "I was waiting for that to happen." he admitted, motioning toward a path that led away from the house. "Let's go for a walk, Aves."

With one final glance toward the table, I followed after my brother, my mind racing a mile a minute.

After a few moments of us walking in silence, I finally blurted the concern that was on my mind. "I'm dead, aren't I, Finn?"

Finn wore a tiny smile as he stopped walking, turning to look at me. "That is up to you, Avery."

I shook my head, more confused than ever. "But all of them," I began, pointing back to where the rest of my friends were, "They're all dead. And you, Finn, I watched you die. I've been broken for months because you died, you left me. So how can you be here right now, how can I be with you if I'm not dead?"

"All of those people," my brother explained, resuming his slow walk, "Have taught you something about life. Each one of those people changed the way you thought about what it meant to live, meant to die.'

"So," he continued, "Yes, they're all dead. I'm dead. But you, Aves, you're whatever you chose to be."

I looked over at him, "You mean I get to chose whether I live or die?"

"Precisely." Finn grinned, finally happy that I had understood.

I felt conflict overtake my every emotion. "What do I do, Finn?" I questioned, my voice wavering.

Finn nodded slightly, as if he had been expecting this question from me. "Only you can decide that." he explained, his feet falling motionless on the path.

I looked up, noting that we had stopped at an opening that revealed the beach we had originally come from.

"I have to decide now." I whispered, knowing what it meant that we were back here.

"Yes." Finn answered, looking over to me with a reassuring look. "Whatever you choose, Aves, just know that I am always with you, no matter what. Always."

I felt tears well up in my eyes as I looked over at my twin. "I don't want to lose you again." I whispered, distraught over the fact that I had just gotten him back.

"I know." he nodded, giving me a sad smile, "But there's a lot of people who don't want to lose you."

It was then, for the first time since I had arrived in this fantasy, that I thought of those who I would be leaving behind.

Octavia, Raven, Jasper, Monty, Miller, Bryan, Clarke, Harper, hell even Murphy.

And Bellamy. Bellamy, the man I had convinced myself I couldn't stand for so long. The man who had been only my best friend's brother, nothing more, nothing less.

But I had been lying to myself all along. Because Bellamy had always been more to me, so much more.

He had been my lifeline, the sole thing keeping me going when all else seemed to be falling apart around me. Bellamy Blake was my saving grace and there was no way I could leave him.

It was with that realization that I turned to my brother who was already watching me with knowing eyes.

"I have to go, Finn." I admitted, finally at peace with my decision. "I can't leave them. Not yet."

He gave me a grateful smile. "I was hoping you'd say that."

"I'll be here." he added, "When you're ready, I'll be here, Aves. And until then, I'm with you, in here." he said, motioning to my heart.

My face morphed into a teary smile as I wrapped my arms around him, burring my face in his chest. "I love you, Finn." I whispered, "To the Earth and back."

He clutched onto me, kissing the top of my head before taking a step back. "I love you, Aves. To the Earth and back and then some."

I let out a watery laugh, watching as he slowly took a few steps back. And then, slowly and then all at once, he disappeared.

Soon enough, the warmth that the sun had provided me on that beach had vanished, and cold gripped my body.

I felt the cold hard ground I was laying on, all of my senses slowly returning to me.

My breath ripped through my body, as if it were the first time I had ever breathed

Warm hands had been pressing on my chest, the minute I took a breath they fell away and I could hear someone let out a sob.

I was back in the Throne Room at Polis.

I was alive.

-THE END-

-an-

yes, this chapter was cliche and cheesy but I am in love with it.

I think this is what aves needed to finally feel at peace with her brother's death.

and yes, you read that correctly, this is the final chapter of 'lifeline'. but fear not, as I am going to be continuing the avery and bellamy story in my new book entitled 'salvation'! if you enjoy their story, please, please, please check it out and give it some love.

love you all so so much

-maddy