40. choices

"Inside the gates, lets go!" Bellamy yelled as he ushered us back through the all too familiar walls of camp.

Everyone one in a panic, running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Some of our gunners immediately positioned themselves up on the wall while others waited for further instruction.

Bellamy climbed up so he was able to look overtop of the wall and out into the forest. I followed after him, my eyes scanning the tree line. Clarke popped up beside us as Bellamy moved his gun across the forest while looking through the sight.

"Where are they?" he asked, panic evident in his voice, "Why aren't they attacking?"

Clarke let out a small gasp of realization, "Because we're doing exactly what they wanted us to do."

I glanced over at her from the other side of Bellamy, "What are you talking about?"

She didn't answer me directly but instead turned back to the group where Finn and Octavia were standing, "Lincoln said the scouts would arrive first."

"Well if it's just scouts then we can fight our way out! That's what Lincoln would do." Octavia pointed out.

I hopped down from the post, Bellamy following behind me, "We're done doing what that Grounder would do." he fired back, "We tried it and now Drew is dead, you wanna be next?"

Octavia glared at her brother as Finn cut in, "That Grounder saved our lives! I agree with Octavia, for all we know there's just one scout out there."

"One scout with insanely good aim." Jasper piped in from his post.

"If we get out there and they corner us there's no hiding, we're left without any protection." I added, causing my brother to shake his head with a sigh. I hated going against him and Octavia, but in this situation I didn't fully agree with them.

Bellamy nodded, "Avery's right, we're a free target out there."

"Clarke," Octavia said as a last plea, "We can do this."

Bellamy and I turned to Clarke as well, "It's up to you Princess, what's it gonna be? Run and get picked off in the open or stay and fight back"

Clarke looked between the four of us, milling over the decision in her head. She shook her head as she looked back out to the forest.

Letting out a sigh, she jumped down from the post, her arm instantly being grabbed by my brother, "Clarke," he begged, "If we're still here when Tristan gets here..."

I didn't know who Tristan was but it was sounding like he was someone I did not want to come face to face with.

"Lincoln said scouts-" Clarke started, cutting Finn off, "More than one. He said get home before the scouts arrive. Finn, they're already here!" she then turned to Bellamy and I, her eyes locking with his expectant ones, "Looks like you have your fight."

Finn's face fell as he tilted his head down in defeat. I felt bad, I really did, but there were some things that Finn wasn't right about and I was my own person who could make my own decisions and this was mine.

"Alright then!" Bellamy called, wasting no time springing into action, "This is what we've been preparing for. Kill them before they kill us! Gunners, to your posts! Use the tunnels to get in and out, from now on the gate stays closed."

Everyone began rushing to their posts, a mixture of adrenaline and fear surged through the camp as everyone prepared for the attack.

I moved my eyes from the chaos back to my brother who had his hands held on his head in disbelief, "Finn-" I started but I was cut off when he shook his head.

"Why did you fuel his fire Avs?" he breathed, dropping his hands back down to his sides.

I furrowed my brow, "What are you talking about?"

"Bellamy- why did you side with him, I'm your brother Avery!" he exclaimed, a look of hurt flashing across his face.

I shook my head, "This isn't about sides Finn, it's about what I thought was right. I know you don't want to stay here and fight but going out there-that's a death sentence, we have a better chance behind these walls."

Finn's jaw was clenched as he went to move past me, "I sure hope you're right."

---

"We've got 25 rifles with 20 rounds each give or take, roughly 500 rounds of ammo" Bellamy explained as he, Finn, Clarke and I stood around a layout of our camp, trying to strategize. "While you two were gone we made some improvements. Thanks to Raven, the Gully's mined."

Raven spoke from where she was sitting against the wall closest to us, "Partially mined," she said, he voice thick with pain, "Thanks to Murphy."

"Still," Bellamy optimized, "It's the main route in. If any Grounders try to get in we'll know. She also built grenades," he explained, picking up one of Raven's homemade explosives.

Clarke looked at the grenades with concern, "That's not many."

Raven let out a grunt, "Again, thank you Murphy."

Bellamy set the grenade down, his eyes moving back to our battle plan, "We'll make it count. If the Grounders make it through the front gate, guns and grenades should force them back."

I stared at Bellamy, trying to find any hint of worry on his face. I knew if he was scared then there was a real reason to be.

"And then?" Clarke asked.

"Then close the door and pray." Raven answered truthfully.

"And pray what?" Clarke questioned, "That the ships keeps them out? Because it won't."

I spoke for the first time, trying to hide the fear in my voice, "Then what do we do? We have no other options."

Finn let out a small laugh from beside me, causing me to spin to him in anger, "What the hell is funny, Finn?"

He shrugged, "You wanted to stay, still think that's a good idea Avs?"

I scoffed, "Shut up."

Bellamy cut in, "We won't let them get through the gate then," he said, raising the walkie talkie in his hand to his mouth, "All fox holes, listen up. Keep your eyes and ears open, inflict casualties, as many as possible. You can hold them off long enough to make them turn back-that's the plan."

"That's always your plan." Finn pointed out, "Just like at the bridge."

Bellamy gave him a nod, "Damn right, got another plan?"

Clarke, who had been staring at the layout of camp, spoke up, "It can't be that simple."

We all looked over to her in confusion, "What can't be that simple?" I asked.

She turned to Raven, "You said there's fuel in those rockets, enough to build a hundred bombs?"

Raven wore a look of uncertainty as she nodded, "Problem is we don't have any gun powder left."

Clarke wore a sly grin, "I don't wanna build a bomb...I want to blast off."