55. alive

The first thing I felt when I woke was excruciating pain shooting through my leg. The next thing I felt was a flood of emotions as the events of the past few days came rushing back into my head.

I shot up, my eyes roaming the room in a hurry as I let out quick, panicked breaths.

"Hey." a soft voice came from beside me. I turned quickly, coming face to face with Clarke who was sitting at my bedside. She was covered in cuts and bruises on her face, and a bandage was secured around her upper arm, but besides that she looked fine.

"Clarke," I breathed in relief, leaning in to wrap my arms around her, "I thought something happened to you. When I jumped you weren't there, I-"

Clarke gave me an apologetic smile as she nodded, "Anya- she knocked me out, and dragged me away. I'm so sorry, Avery. I wanted to wait but she made me leave."

I gave her a smile, "Clarke it's okay, we're both alive and we're home, don't be sorry."

After a moment of silence I spoke again, "You said Anya knocked you out, why did she bring you back here? Where did she go?"

The blonde let out a small sigh, "She's dead. Our guards shot her," she explained, before adding "And me."

I glanced at her bandage, "Are you going to be okay?"

She nodded, "I'll be fine. I'm more worried about you, my mom said your wound is pretty bad. Was it out guards who shot you?"

I shook my head as I looked down at the now slightly red bandage wrapped around my leg, "The Mount Weather guards shot me before I jumped. Walking on it for 2 days probably didn't help." I explained, letting out a small laugh.

Clarke cringed, "My mom will be able to fix it."

I gave her a smile as if to say "hopefully". I knew Abby was good but I also knew I had really jeopardize the fate of my leg.

"Have you seen anyone yet?" I asked hopefully.

She shook her head, "I haven't been out yet. I was about to go."

A smile spread onto my face as I threw back my covers, "I'm coming-"

"No," Abby Griffin said entering the room, "You're on bedrest until we get that bullet out of your leg."

I felt my shoulders slump as Clarke gave me a sad smile, "I'll tell everyone to come in see you, okay? I'll be right back."

I nodded, knowing this was my only option, "Okay, I'll be here I guess."

Clarke let out a laugh before standing and making her way towards the exit, "Right back." she promised.

Once her daughter was out of the room, Abby approached me, "That's quite the bullet wound you've got there, Avery."

I shrugged as I played with the blanket that was draped over my lower half, "I've had better accomplishments in my life."

Abby laughed as she sat down in the spot Clarke had been occupying, "You were always a funny kid." she commented.

I looked over at her with a curious smile, "You remember me?"

Pulling back the blanket to inspect my leg, Abby spoke again, "How could I forget. You and Finn were the first twins I had ever seen-clearly- keeping you a secret was one of the hardest things I had ever done."

I winced as she lightly pressed on my leg, "You risked your life keeping me a secret."

Abby shook her head, "I wasn't going to risk them doing something to you or your brother. I couldn't live with myself."