VIII

The woman let out a chuckle, her grip tightening against Amanda's neck. "Did you really think I'm that foolish?" She asked, and I furrowed my brows. "Give me whatever the girl took, and perhaps I will be the one to let you go. Remember, we still have her dearest mother downstairs."

"You're one sick woman," I muttered, and slipped my fingers into my pocket and pulled the wooden cylinder out. "There you go. Now let her go."

The woman eyed the cylinder greedily, and just before her fingers enclosed around the cylinder itself, my free hand curled its fingers into a tight fist and slammed hard up the bridge of her nose. Amanda took the opportunity to run behind Dietfried, who stood protectively over her.

The woman muttered some profanities under her breath as she wiped the blood away from her nose and raised her gaze to meet mine. I was ready to throw another punch, when two men took her down on her knees in a matter of seconds. My eyes widened when I caught the colours of their coats - the navy.

"Get her out of here," An order came out of Dietfried's lips as Amanda clung to him protectively. I could not blame her. Her life had flashed before her eyes when the woman had a weapon against her throat.

The two men did as they were instructed, and Dietfried turned to Amanda, "If it will be  alright with you, I can have my men monitor your house to make sure someone like her does not bother you again," he explained soothingly.

"Of course, of course," Amanda agreed on the verge of tears.

I then accompanied Amanda downstairs and reunited her with her mother as Dietfried gave his men another set of instructions. I dipped the mouth of the teapot onto Amanda's cup and let her drink. "I'm sorry I dragged you into this," I apologised as I watched her downed the cup of tea under seconds.

She set down the cup on its saucer. "You need not apologise, Violet. It is not your fault," she sighed, "but I must thank you. If it were not for you, who knew what would have happened to my mother and I?"

I managed a sad smile as she added, "After all, I am the only one my mother has left."

"Indeed," I muttered under my breath.

"What are you going to do now?" She asked as she stole a glance over her shoulder and I followed her gaze, where Dietfried and his fellow comrade were ; discussing something serious under their breath, out of our hearing range.

I gave her a peek of the cylinder tucked away in my pockets. "I found this - it is something your daughter had left and instructed for me to retrieve at her dying breath. I suspect this has something to do with the identity of her killer," I explained, and my shoulders sagged, "as soon as we found something, the least we can do is inform you about it."

"Thank you, for everything, Violet," she spoke, her voice toned with gratitude.