VI

Dietfried clammed up immediately as Amanda neared the coffee table that was in front of us, and set the silver tray of two empty cups as well as a plump teapot down gently. She then proceeded to tip the pot forward and angled it towards the empty cups. I watched as the liquid flowed from the mouth to the cup's brim.

A proud smile formed on her lips as she retreated to the similar three seater couch across from us, crossing her legs as ladylike as she could. "Well, help yourselves! It's black tea, one of my creations," She gestured towards the filled cups with her hands. She shot a hopeful glance towards Dietfried's direction, but was turned down briefly.

"I'll drink it," I offered, and ignored the warning glare he shot me as I picked the cup from its tray and brought it close to my lips. The warm liquid seeped through my mouth and down my throat.

"I think it's time for us to get to the point now, shall we?" Dietfried cleared his throat. A sign for me to stop beating around the bush and not waste anymore precious time.

I choked, but recollected myself. Alright. Here goes nothing, I thought, as a lump of nervousness formed in my throat. I set down the cup too carefully, pulling my shaking hand back. "Ma'am, I mean - Amanda ... there's a matter of important news we - I need to break to you," I began.

Her brows furrowed slightly. "Is there something wrong with my tea?" She asked.

"No, no ; of course not, ma'am, your tea tastes phenomenal. It's just that .., your daughter Koharu she .." I forced down the lump and continued, "I'm afraid she's met an unfortunate ending, ma'am."

A moment of silence passed between us. It was as if the ticking sounds from the grandfather clock in the corner were amplified. The colours from her face drained as her fingers clutched the arms of her chair tightly. Her eyes rounded, mortified as she asked, "What did you just say? Koharu ... she is dead?"

"W-Why?" And after a second later, "How?"

I nodded and hung my head in guilt. "It was supposed to be me," I muttered, "she was supposed to drug my food ; for the sake of keeping her family's lives intact. And when she resisted -"

"She was killed for it," Amanda's voice came out hoarse.

"My daughter was the kindest human to ever walk the earth," She clenched the left side of her chest as if something happened to her heart. I would not blame her ; for she had just known her daughter was dead. By whom ... I do not know just yet. "She had devoted her life into putting others before her ; and yet death is not satisfied with her.."

I lifted my gaze to face her. "I'm sorry, really, I am," I said, "Dietfried and I - we are actually here in need of your help. Before Koharu passed, she said there is something important that she keeps in her room. If we may, we'd like to have access to it."

"Of course, for Koharu, anything," She nodded, "follow me."