IV

I rushed to Koharu's side as Dietfried checked the perimeter. She was bleeding from a shot to her chest. I knew nothing of medicine - nor the knowledge to extract the bullet shell from the hole it had made. If I had, I would have ... I shook my head. It doesn't matter now. "Koharu ... Koharu.," I called, shaking her arm gently.

"V-Violet ... it's you..," She rasped. She tried to sit up, but to no avail. Finally I leaned her against the wall, where she settled comfortably. "At least I-I stopped her ..."

"Talk to me, Koharu ... who is that woman? What does she want with you? Who is she trying to poison?" I asked.

"Y-You, Violet," She managed, "she's trying to poison you ..."

I drew back in shock, my brows raised. "W-What? Why me?" I asked.

She reached out weakly, shaking her head. "There is no time ..." she said, "she's going to your room herself, but since you're here, she's going to notice your absence ... head to my house ; the second drawer in cabinet, there you will find your answers."

She swallowed, before continuing, "A-And tell my family not to come look for me ..."

"I ... I will, Koharu," I promised, "thank you, for everything that you've done."

Blood started to trickle down from her lips and stained her teeth as she flashed a weak but genuine smile. "I-I never regretted the first time I was assigned to you, Violet. You are more different than anyone else despite you thinking the opposite." She said hoarsely, choking up more blood.

"Come now," I told her, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. Small tears started to form in my eyes.

"I am finally here, grandma," She muttered to herself as her eyes rolled up to her lids, "here to your world .." her voice trailed off, and her lids finally shut. I could tell her soul had left her body.

Rest in peace, Koharu, I whispered inside my head. Your death will not go unavenged, I swear.

"I looked everywhere," I glanced up when I heard Dietfried's footsteps coming towards my direction. "I couldn't pick up her trail. She's smart. She covered her tracks."

I got to my feet. "Which makes her even more dangerous," I finished, wiping away a tear furiously. "We can not afford to waste any more time."

I met his eyes as I said, "I know where we can find a lead. Let's go."

We snuck out of Leidenschaftlich hospital through the windows of the Head Physician's office. It was a long way down, but thankfully, Dietfried had ropes in the small knapsack he had carried, and we had fastened one end of the climbing rope to the locked door handle.

I was never a fan of heights ; for Koharu, I reminded myself, and tightened my grip on the rope, slowly descending after him. We then made our way to an oddly shaped box that had four wheels ; two on each side. I stared at it in confusion, but Dietfried pulled one silver handle open and gestured inside.

I reluctantly entered, and settled comfortably on the seat whilst he shut the door and rounded the back of the box, only to enter from the other end and sat down beside me. There were a lot of devices inside, and a elongated stick in between the seats that had numbers at one side.

"So much have changed since the war," He informed me as he stepped on a pedal on his side and moved the stick. I winced slightly as the box started moving. "It's called a 'car', and it takes you from one place to another. We don't use horses anymore."

"I find horses better," I said as he chuckled, speeding up.

I showed him directions, and though we were quiet during the entire journey, I rather enjoyed it. He was also understanding enough to give me space and time to think ; especially after what happened to Koharu. "Who do you think that woman is?" I spoke up, breaking the silence.

"Believe me, I want to know too," He answered, keeping his eyes peeled on the oncoming vehicles who passed us on the road. "I just cannot believe she killed the Head Physician."

"I know," I muttered softly under my breath, "I know."