VII

She led us up the square shaped staircase ; the wood creaking in agony under the pressure of every step we made with our shoes. She then made a left turn when she reached the end of the steps, and stopped before a closed door that had a rusted doorknob. She gave the knob a gentle turn, and the door gave way. "This is it - Koharu's rooms," She said, gesturing towards the entryway.

Dietfried entered first, while I lingered. I curtsied before Amanda. "We appreciate your help, Amanda, we really do," I told her, "once we get to the bottom of this, you can name your price ; I'll surely be able to give it to you."

She shook her head slowly, and flashed me a sad smile. "What I want, you cannot bring her back to me," She nodded behind me, "You two are welcomed to stay however long you want. If you need anything, I'll be downstairs."

With that being said, she passed me like a breeze, and traversed her way down the way she came once more. I listened as her footsteps distanced from the base of the stairs, before I entered Koharu's room. The tiny square structure was expected for a small residence like this. Though the windows on either side of her bed was what made it look larger.

Dietfried was running his hands down the wall in one corner of the room, as if expecting a trapdoor of some sort. I scanned our surroundings. Nothing out of the ordinary here. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the wood carved cabinet hiding behind the curtains dancing in the wind.

"Here," I called out softly over my shoulder, beckoning for Dietfried to come over.

I knelt down before the cabinet, running my hands down the smoothly carved wood. I paused before the second drawer - just as Koharu had instructed. This is it, Amanda's voice repeated in my head. Yes. This is it. In this drawer is the very answer we needed behind who wanted to kill me ; instead taking Koharu's life.

I drew in heavy breaths, and pulled it open. I frowned. There was nothing except a slender cylinder visibly made of bamboo. "It can't be," I muttered to myself as I scoured the contents of the drawer, only to find my metal palms touching the base of the wood.

"What is it?" He asked, peering over.

Before I could answer, the door was forced open, and a familiar figure stepped in, holding Amanda with a blade to her throat. "I'm surprised - you're one step ahead of me," the figure sneered through the silk shielding almost half of her face.

My metal fingers tightened into a tight fist, but I stayed silent. The bamboo cylinder I had already tucked inside my pocket ; out of the woman's sight. She smiled. A feral smile. One that was similar to that of a sly predator. "Do you still not know who I am?" She asked.

"We will soon find out anyway," Dietfried spoke, stepping in front of me protectively, "Let her go, and perhaps I will let you walk away free."