Patting the top of Suna's head, you sigh, "Yeah, it's the only time Hanako is free plus nationals, but you already knew that. I'm gonna go now. AND. Don't stay up too late, it's not good for you." 

"Yeah yeah," Suna waves off your concerns, scribbling something down on his paper. "Don't stress your shoulder too much." 

It's now your turn to wave off his concern as you close his bedroom door and walk yourself out of the house. 

-♡-

"[Name]," Hanako taps your shoulder. Swim conditioning ended a few minutes ago, and it was your turn to clean the pool deck. "Coach wants to see you in his office." She looks concerned, not making eye contact with you and fiddling with the hem of her swimsuit.

"Oh. Let me grab all the kick boards first, then i'll get chang-" 

"No...he wants to see you now. I'll clean the pool deck, don't worry about it." 

Hana cutting you off makes you anxious, you chewing on the inside of your cheek. "Am I in trouble?" You ask, handing the kickboards in your arms to Hana. 

Hana shakes her head, a small, sad smile on her face. "Quite the opposite, actually." 

The swim coach was a scary man; An old man who's been teaching math for years and coaching swim for even longer. Every year, there's been at least one first year to throw up from the sets he assigns and at least two to drop from the club as a whole. This year, there were only three first years, all from recommendations; You, Aiko and Izumi. Speculation is that he plans on retiring soon, but wants to head to nationals as many times before he does so. 

Standing in his office, walls and shelves lined with medals and trophies, your heart is running laps, anxiety through the roof. It wasn't particularly cold, but every hair stood in it's end. 

"You called for me?" You ask, trying to not let your voice shake. 

"I never got to properly congratulate you for placing first in all your events in regionals." He's calm, signing papers as he talks. 

You snap your swimsuit strap against your shoulder. "Thank you," 

"You've been practicing very hard, not just now, but since middle school, I hear." The only other sound is his pen scribbling across a notepad. "Not many first years make it to nationals, or place first in every event they participate in." 

All you can do it nod. 

"I assume you must be very excited to swim at nationals. It's at Tokyo this year." He continues, eyes never leaving his desktop. 

Again, all you do is nod in response. 

"However," He looks up, putting his pen down and clasping his hands together. "I can not let you swim." 

The six words snaps all anxiety from your body, causing you to stiffen up. "What?!" 

He sighs. "Your times have not been dropping. Butterfly is your best stroke, yet your form has been getting sloppy. For those reasons, I can't have you swim." 

"Wait wait wait!" You wave your hands up, trying to grasp what he just said. "Those are the reasons I can't swim at nationals? I can fix those! I swear! I'll practice more, I'll spend more time on my fly stroke-" 

"[Name]," He butts in, rendering you silent. "I know why you haven't been in top form recently. And it's not something you can fix with more practice." 

"What? What is it? I'll get it fixed immediately!" You plead desperately, hot tears pricking the corners of your eyes. 

"[Name], take a look at your right shoulder, please."