Chapter Thirteen

Lucy has been sort of on edge lately ever since she has been practicing for the volleyball tryouts. She really wants to make it on the team but she still is nervous about Minerva coming around. She's been really stressed about making the team but I'm sure she doesn't need to worry  since coach has been always wanted her to be on the team. 

I've been playing volleyball with Lucy for the past few days every free moment that I have. I never thought that I would ever play so much volleyball. I've always been more into football but volleyball isn't to bad.  Lucy isn't bad of a player, in fact she's amazing. I see why coach has always wanted her to be on the team. 

"Heads Up, Natsu" I hear. I look up and see a volleyball heading straight for my face. I duck and dodge the ball just in time. When I get up I see Lucy running towards me. 

"Are you okay?" she asks with concern. 

"Yeah, I lost focus and wasn't paying attention. But I'm okay." I laugh. 

"Good, that was a hard serve and if it had been to the head it could have been really bad." 

"Well, I just need to watch out because you've got a hard swing." I laugh and so does she. "But I do think we should take a break for today?" 

"Yeah, Your probably right?" she says with a grin." You probably can't keep up anymore "she laughs. 

"Are you kidding me?" she continues to laugh and runs off. I chase her but when we run out of breath, she runs out of the gym and to the water fountain. I catch up to her and wrap my arms around her waist.

"So you give up now" I tease. 

"No, you just look like you needed a break" she chuckles.

"LUCY!" I hear someone yell. We look around and at the door of the school we see Mavis standing there.

"Mavis! I thought you were coming home tomorrow" Lucy answers. 

"About that" Mavis replies sheepishly, then from behind her Zeref enters the school. 

I freeze.

What is he doing here? I thought just Mavis was coming home early and he was staying another two weeks. This can't be good. 

"Hey Natsu" my brother greets me. I look at him in the eyes and I see something there. Something is going on. 

"Hey" I answer. "What are you doing here?" I ask. 

"I am home for two weeks now" he responds. 

What...

"We talked some things over and we decided it wasn't fair what has happened and we should fix some things before announcing our news" Mavis informs.

"Fix what?" Lucy asked.

"Why don't we all go home and talk all of this out "Zeref says. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we get to the house. Mavis and Lucy go up to the kitchen and me and Zeref stay outside. 

"Since when have you and Lucy been an item" he asks. "You guys look good together" 

"Well we found out a couple of days after you left" 

"Can I guess that you haven't told mom and dad yet?" he asks with a sigh. 

"No, and they don't even notice so why should I"

"I know, the lack of notice is what drives me away from home. I never meant to push you and Wendy away with them" he informs me. 

"Oh..." I have no idea what to say to him. I have no idea how to navigate this conversation. He's never even had this much attention focused on me. Even when we were little kids, he didn't pay much attention to anything when he was at home. 

"I know that you and Wendy think I'm an awful person and that I should spend more time at home and with you two" 

"I don't think your an awful person, but I do think you should be around here more for Wendy." I sigh.

"You don't want me around anymore" he asks. 

"I kind of gave up on it a couple years ago, but Wendy hasn't"

"I'm sorry" he announces. "I push you guys away when we all should have stuck together when mom and dad didn't pay much attention to us. I'm sorry I left it all up to you guys to figure. I should have been the older brother and be there for you guys." 

I think about turning to leave because this seems to good to be true but I'm stopped when I hear her. 

'I hope Natsu sees the effort he's putting into this apology and gives him a chance'

Lucy. 

Maybe, she's right and I should give him a chance. It just won't be easy to forget everything. But if he's making an effort so should I. It would make things seem okay again with our family. I mean Lucy probably wishes she had her family around her. I must be awful for her to see us fighting so I should give him a chance. 

"Zeref, what the big news you have to announce" I smile at him and for once I finally see in Zeref what I wanted in a big brother all along. 

"Where's Wendy? I want to announce it to you guys all together. Oh, and by the way, congrats on you and Lucy getting together. I mean you guys really do look good together. " 

"Thanks, and Wendy's at her friends house. She should be home soon." 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ahh, Really! You and Natsu" Mavis yells. 

"Yeah" I confirm it. 

"Wow, I knew it was gonna happen soon. He cared about you, I could see it by the way he looked at you even when I was in school."

"Why didn't you tell me then" I ask her. 

"Because I knew what you were gonna say. No, he's not into me. "she laughs. "You were always so shy around other people and could never make any other friends."

"Ughh, just so you know, I have a lot of friends besides you know" I whine.

"Are they Natsu's friends though" she laughs. 

"Yes..." I stutter. 

"Lucy, I'm glad. You have more friends. Maybe now you can finally become more confident and do all of the things you've always wanted to do." 

"I'm already trying out for the volleyball team. Like you have always tried getting me to do." I laugh. 

"Really, what about Minerva!" she asks. 

I tell her everything that happened with her and she gets so excited. 

"Finally she get her just deserts" she grins. I laugh at her and we continue to talk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Natsu and his brother's relationship get better or will it crumble with the news? 

What is Zeref's big news to tell everyone? Can anyone guess?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the late update on the chapter. My computer has been having problems lately and I wanted the chapter to be longer than the last one. I hope you enjoy the chapter.