Bullet Proof Heart

"I have a job for you, Simon."

        He stared into Korse's cold, black eyes. This man, however loosely he fit the term, was the ruler over Battery city ever since the Great Fires less than a year ago. He always did whatever he asked; took the pills he created regularly, moved his family countless times, and followed all the rules. Every command Korse asked of him.

        Even if it meant killing someone innocent.

       It was all for the greater good, he thought to himself. They were bad for the community, could destroy the perfect haven that Korse and BL/ind have worked so hard to create for us after the great fires of 2012.

        "Do you remember James from District three?"

        "Of course." Simon replied, is eyes squinted in confusion.

        James form district three. We had exterminated him eight months ago; His wife had convinced him to stop taking the pills, and not even a month later him and his family had decided to leave, to join the rebel group of Killjoys that lived in the desert, plotting ways of how to take down BL/ind, to destroy our perfect, painfree lifestyle. He had been with the corperation for too long, and could give up information we just couldnt bear to lose.

        "Remember his wife, Sarah? How she manipulated him into turning against our own company?"  Korse questioned, turning away from the glass wall that loomed over Battery City, seeing everything, overlooking nothing.

        "Yes sir."

        "i'm afraid that the same thing is happening to you, Simon. Has your wife been acting differently towars you lately?"

        Flashes of her appeared in her mind: her shrinking away from his touch; throwing up in the middle of the night, not looking him in the eyes.

        "A little. I think she is just sick, everyone gets sick every once in a while. She's just throwing up. Feels a little hot. Nothing life threatening," Simon said. "What does this have to do with James?"

        Korse walked towards him slowly before taking a seat at his desk.

        "Take a seat Simon, for what I'm about to tell you will be a lot to take in."

        Simon fell into a plush red chair in front of him, confusion plain on his face.

        "What your wife is experiencing is withdrawl, Simon. From the pills." Korse explained "Soon enough, she will try to leave you. She knows too much. I don't want to lose you Simon, you're too...important to us." he reached across the desk to put a reassuring hand ontop of a shaking Simon."You know what you must do, to preserve the company, don't you Simon?"

        "They must be exterminated"
        A white-hot bolt of pain shot through Simon's head.He gasped, leaning his head in between his legs, it cradled between his hands.

        "Do you love me, Simon?" She giggled, spinning around the room before landing in his arms.

        "Of course, darling" He smiled down at her.

        Flashes of the past went through his head as he tried to concentrate on Korses' words, the pain in his head burning on as the memories played out behind his eyelids, and a heavy feeling he couldn't quite place started expanding in his chest. 

        "Forever?" she smiled up at him, kissing the tip of his nose.

        "Forever and ever, Helena. 'Till the end of time" he said, kissing her lips gently, guiding her to their bed in the small,one bedroom flat. It was small, but it was theirs. Thats all that ever really mattered to him.