51 - Cut Price Contraception

"I was thinking about going to see Madam Pomfrey."

Draco looked up in alarm at Blaire's unexpected announcement.

He hadn't really been listening to her; exhausted after having pulled another all nighter on the cabinet. The tea Longbottom had made him sat long since forgotten about at the bottom of his trunk whilst he spent day in and day out desperately trying to fix that fucking cabinet before time ran out.

But something in the tone of his best friend's voice had drawn his attention, and concern flooded him at once for her wellbeing.

"Why?" he frowned, searching her face for any sign of sickness. "Are you ill?"

But she didn't look ill at all. In fact, Draco realised, he had never seen her look happier or more radiant in her life. He had to push down the desire to grab her and kiss her right there in front of everyone.

"No, Drac," she tutted as she rolled her eyes, "I just think we should be more... careful... you know?"

"Be more careful about what?"

Blaire let out an exasperated sigh as she gave him a long and pointed look. But Draco was baffled. And normally he could read her so well; but his mind was fuzzy from lack of sleep.

"She means," Theo drawled lazily from across the table, "she doesn't want any mini Malfoy's stuffing up her education and ruining that damn hot figure of hers."

"Keep your fucking nose out of our business, Nott," Draco snarled angrily, throwing a piece of toast at his head.

"Well, he's got a point," Blaire shrugged, when he turned questioningly back to look at her to see if there was any truth in Theo's insinuation.

Panic filled his mind. The birthday thing was supposed to have been a one off that he hadn't even intended to do in the first place. But he'd wanted her so much that night; well - he wanted her all the time, but he had to put her safety first which is why he shouldn't be encouraging sex to happen between them.

He couldn't allow her to be implicated in any of this crap; including knowing that he had been forced into becoming a Death Eater. Draco had made a promise to himself that she wouldn't ever find out, which was a little difficult to do if they involved themselves in activities which involved him taking his shirt off.

And she wasn't stupid; he could hardly keep on blindfolding her or insisting they do it only in the dark without arousing suspicion.

So, naturally, the easiest thing to do was to distance himself from her by keeping himself constantly busy in the Room of Requirement.

He knew he should cut himself off from her completely to be kinder, but he just couldn't bring himself to severe her from his life entirely.

But now here she was, talking about contraception as though she expected them to fall into a 'normal' relationship, where they would spend their free time having 'normal' regular sex and taking 'normal' romantic strolls by the lake.

Fat chance of that, he thought wryly, his free time was spent plotting a fucking murder.

He felt the dull ache in his heart when he thought about that bracelet he had given her, and the empty links that were waiting to be filled with new mementoes of her life.

Because of course he wished it could be their memories; their story.

But his future had already been written out for him thanks to his fucktard father, and it was looking bleak as fuck.

Blaire deserved better than him, better than the life he could ever offer her.

"Are you alright, Drac?" she asked, her voice bringing him out of his dark and brooding thoughts.