42 - Amused, Blaire?

Staying true to my word to Narcissa, I made no attempt to contact Draco in those last two weeks of summer, fearing the consequences for him if I did.

I kept replaying that night over and over again in my mind; hearing the terror in Narcissa's voice and seeing the fear in Draco's eyes.

I felt as though I was trapped in a nightmare: and I had no idea if I'd ever get answers or even if I'd see Draco again.

So it was to my complete relief when September the first finally arrived and I would at least find out if he had made it to school or not.

What I hadn't banked on though, was everyone's bizarre personality transplants.

"Blaire! Wait up!"

I had literally just stepped on the train when I was alerted by the voice of Pansy Parkinson, who was eagerly hurrying up the platform with her trunk dragging behind her.

I blinked in confusion. Had the bitch forgotten what happened when we last saw one another?

"Yeah?" I said suspiciously, narrowing my eyes as she hopped up next to me.

"I've been doing some thinking," she panted, wiping her damp hair back from her sweaty face. "And I've come to the conclusion that throwing our friendship away over a boy really isn't worth it."

"Um... okay...?" I said, wondering if this was some kind of trick.

"I've not been able to think about anything else for the rest of the summer," Pansy warbled on breathlessly, "and I feel simply awful for slapping you and calling you a skank when it should of been Draco I was angry at."

"Well," I said, trying to choose my words carefully, "if it's any consolation, I'm sorry too. About the way Draco treated you, I mean."

She beamed; a smile so wide and bright, as though I'd just offered her the biggest lollipop in the world.

Insisting we grab a compartment together, Pansy led the way up the train corridor. I half heartedly followed, my chest aching sadly upon realising this was the first Hogwarts day in which I hadn't boarded the train with Draco.

It turned out, I didn't have to wait long to see what had become of him, though.

"Ah! Here we are!" Pansy said, halting outside a compartment. "The old gang back together!"

My heart stilled as I followed her in. On one side, already stuffing their faces with sweets, was Crabbe and Goyle; and the other, by the window, sat a white-blond haired Slytherin; my Slytherin.

He was here. And he was alive.

But there was something odd about the way he was looking at me; something very disconcerting indeed.

He did not look pleased to see me at all; in fact, he looked angry.

"You don't mind if we join you, do you boys?" Pansy trilled, seemingly unaware of Draco's evident disdain as she beamed across at everyone.

He made an impatient clicking sound with his tongue, and I thought for a second he was going to tell us to fuck off but instead he beckoned for Crabbe and Goyle to move across to his side; clearly not wanting Pansy or I next to him.

They both grunted, grudgingly shifting their arses.

Pansy placed herself nearest the door, leaving me to take the window seat, opposite Draco.

I swallowed, my eyes still on Draco who had looked defiantly away; tapping his fingers impatiently on his lap as a scowl etched deeply upon his face.