47 - Happy and Grumpy

The rest of the Christmas break I spent taking walks amongst the grounds or catching up with homework in the library. It was pretty dull without Draco around.

He was always elsewhere doing whatever it was he was doing. And, as promised, I never pushed him for information, just glad that he was at least eating properly again.

When the others came back in the new year, I was thrilled to see Neville who sought me out in the library and dramatically presented me with a prettily wrapped box complete with a sparkly red bow.

"What's this?" I asked, picking it up and shaking it for clues. "If it's an engagement ring then I suggest you at least take me out for dinner first."

"As much as I was hoping for a winter wedding," Neville chuckled claiming the seat next to me, "I'm afraid it's not an engagement ring this time. However, it is a belated Christmas present to say thank you for saving me at Slughorn's party."

"Aw shucks, you shouldn't have," I grinned, already greedily pulling at the bow. "I had fun. And now I know exactly who my dance floor buddy is going to be when I finally get to go out on the town. As much as I love Drac, he's a strictly formal dance kind of guy."

"You guys made up then?" Neville asked, his tone piqued with interest.

"Mmmm hmmm," I said, releasing the box from its wrappings and carefully lifting up the lid.

Inside, where a ring would normally sit, was a pot of sparkling purple nail varnish.

"Nice," I nodded impressively, taking it out to admire just as it then, to my astonishment, turned a deep emerald green. "Woah."

"One hundred and twenty five different shades," Neville grinned, wiggling his eyebrows. "Thirty two of which are glow in the dark. Picture that when we go storming those night clubs."

"Shit," I breathed, "this is awesome, Nev. And now I feel bad because I didn't get you anything."

"You did," he shrugged. "I already said you saved me from degrading myself further at the party."

"At least you got a cute outfit out of it though." I snorted, playfully nudging my elbow into his arm. "Captain Longbottom."

"It's already ironed and hanging up in my wardrobe, waiting for a fancy dress invite."

"I better be your plus one."

"Maybe. Depends if Tom Cruise is available or not."

"No fucking way!" I spluttered, as Madam Pince frowned at me from across the room. "I love him too!"

"Don't be greedy," Neville chuckled, "you've already got the Slytherin Prince."

"Oh please don't call him that," I scoffed, unscrewing the lid of my water bottle, "it gives him such a big head."

"And that's a bad thing?"

Unfortunately, at that point, I had taken a huge swig of water and ended up drenching the library book in front of me.

Needless to say, I was swiftly chucked out by a furious Madam Pince, and so Neville and I found ourselves taking a freezing cold walk along the lakeside.

"I used to come here with Cedric," I said, shuddering as we passed the rock we used to share heated embraces on.

"Christ, Blaire," Neville muttered, shaking his head, "you really do get all the fit ones."

"Oh believe me," I scoffed, emitting a loud bark of laughter, "he may be beautiful but that prick is ugly inside."

"Losing the tournament really screwed him over, huh?" Neville mused as he removed his toad from his pocket, placing him down upon the ground so he could hop along beside us. "According to Gran there's rumour going around that he spends his evenings drowning his sorrows in the Hogs Head since graduating. Apparently his dad is furious that he's wasting his life."