12 .:Red River:. 12

I jolted out of bed.

The first thing I noticed was how cold my house was.

None of the windows were open, it was just cold.

I looked to my right, to grab my phone from the nightstand and felt an uncomfortable ache begin to pulse in my temple. Ugh.

The time displayed on my phone was twelve forty-five PM. Oh no!

I unlocked my phone, but there were no notifications, so that seemed to be a good sign. I sighed.

"Ugh," I groaned. This headache was killing me. Maybe I was dehydrated.

I stood from my bed and my aching head worsened. I took deep breaths, as it was starting to feel almost unbearable.

Slowly, I made my way to the kitchen to retrieve a glass of water.

After chugging the first glass, a sudden parched sensation overcame me, and I managed to chug two more glasses.

My headache eased a smidge, and I felt a little better.

The water settled inside me, and I felt a fullness that was slightly uncomfortable. Something else happened, due to the water, and I hurried to the bathroom to relieve myself.

About ten minutes later, I came out of the bathroom feeling lighter and quite empty.

I groggily trudged back to the kitchen, the headache still intact, and bit into the first apple I laid eyes on.

It was refreshingly cool and tasted just right. I quickly finished the apple and scarfed down another.

I went to grab a third but felt a strong pull of nausea roll over me. Taking a deep breath, I tried very hard to hold myself together and not puke.

Vomiting was not in my criteria and never had been.

As determined as I was to not retch, my stomach had other ideas. I covered my mouth as I felt my stomach lurch, then thoughtlessly bolted for the bathroom.

The moment I lifted the toilet seat, the contents of my stomach flew out of me.

Vomiting was one of the most painful and uncomfortable things I had ever done in my life. Tears were seeping down my cheeks, and everything got worse when I started dry heaving, including my headache.

After I threw up a little more air, it finally subsided, and the nausea left me.

My headache was at an all-time high and I felt completely spent.

I slowly stood up, or struggled to stand up, flushed the toilet, then gargled some water and brushed my teeth.

My body was severely sore and the moment I laid down, I succumbed to sleep.

A startling bang woke me from my deep slumber, and I jolted up, which was a consequential move because the world started spinning.

I nursed my head in my hands, hoping that would somehow make things cease their movements and the pain would ease.

"Sarina!"

That sounded familiar. But painful.

I heard heavy footsteps approaching my door and glanced up in fear right as Nanuk's massive figure appeared in my doorframe.

His expression was a cross between worry and anger.

"Hi," I meekly greeted. The sight of him overjoyed me, but my body was feeling no better than before.