5 .:Surprise Visit:. 5

"That's great! Have you graded anything yet?" my cousin Andrea asked.

"Mmm, kind of. It's more participation grades than anything else. It's a little too early for grades," I explained, swirling the wine in my crystal glass.

Andrea was one of the only relatives I actually enjoyed talking to and she's promised not to relay any information about me to the family.

"I'm so shocked that you've decided to become a teacher! Of all things, it's completely unexpected because your father is a business man and your mother is a suburban home maker. Have you decided if you're going to tell them yet?"

My heart clenched at the thought and I momentarily lost my taste for the wine. I placed it down on the kitchen counter and plopped myself onto the ottoman in the living room.

"I don't think I'll tell them for a while. It feels too soon."

"Have you talked to them at all?"

"Nooo," I grumbled.

"Well you should." I could hear the mother coming out in her voice. "At least a letter or something, and you don't even have to give them your address. I'm sure they're wondering how their only daughter is doing on her own, for the first time."

Hmm, that actually wasn't a bad idea and she had a point.

"I'm sure they'll love to know that you're safe and doing alright."

I groaned aloud and rolled my eyes.

"Why are you always right?" I requisitioned in slight annoyance.

Muffled crying suddenly broke out in the background and I heard Andrea sigh.

"That's my queue to go. It sounds like a hungry cry. All I'm saying is that your parents deserve to know you're alright. Whatever you do is solely up to you. Text me tomorrow – or call me! We still need to talk about that boss of yours!"

"Oh god, I almost forgot," I smiled at her enthusiasm. "I'll give you a call tomorrow. Kiss the kids for me!"

"Will do! Bye love."

I placed my cell down on the coffee table and contemplated what I'd write to my parents. It really wasn't a bad idea and I wouldn't have to leave a return address.

After pondering the idea, a bit longer, I got up and finished the rest of my wine, then grabbed a plush fleece blanket and went outside to the backyard.

It wasn't too late, but the light was fading from the sky and you could see the stars beginning to appear.

My yard was rather large; I think Kate mentioned it being almost 2 acres. The grass was starting to look unruly, but even in this state, it was soft and flowed in the warm and gentle breeze.