Chapter VII - When the Brown Eyes Met the Green Ones

Inside the tavern, the fuss was absolute. So many were the ones talking while drinking beer or wine at the same time some played a few games at the tables. Loud music could be heard, played and sung by bards with a happy repertoire with rhythmic notes. The building, made of grey stone and wood, was illuminated by some iron chandeliers with candles. There were banners of the House Lacey on the balconies. And one of the costumers that night was the son of the chief of the city. The gorgeous Bernn III was sited at a table with Imad, the High Advisor of the city of men in the north of the land.

- Thank you for the invitation, my lord. – Said Imad.

- I needed to talk with one of you from the north.

- And I need to talk with your father. I'm glad in helping you in what I can if you convince your father on a meeting with me.

- Good luck with that. – Bernn said with a smirk - I, myself, tried to have one and it took less than five minutes to be dismissed. My father doesn't want conflicts. He has maintained peace for so long.

- That it is why I'm here. The shadow is real. Is a dark force that's gaining power...

- Through what? – Bernn asked, eating some bread with salty pork.

- I don't know, but I know what I saw. – Imad said, after drinking some wine of his cup.

- And I know what I saw. – Bernn responded, placing his cup on the table - Near your city... there were people enslaved, beaten up...

- I'm doing all I can to stop it. I tried to reason with Hanak, but he doesn't listen...

- He is not the only one...

Imad nodded, realising Bernn was talking about his father. In that case, coming to Odebored it had been in vain.

- I think I have to take measures on my own. – Imad proposed.

- What will you do?

- Find proof. If I return with it, do you think your father would listen?

- He wouldn't have a choice...

- Do you want anything else, my lord?

The sudden sweet and soft voice of a woman made Bernn silence his own voice. Both men looked to the left and saw a young woman with a jug of wine in her hand. She had a simple dress under her brown cloak. Her long red hair made her green eyes seem like they were shining. And her pointing nose only made her face swell in seduction.

Bernn asked for more wine. While the woman filled his cup, they looked at each other's eyes. Hers were green as the most pure grass asking for sun. His were as brown as an autumn leaf falling in the sunlight. They both smiled. Then, the woman moved away in the direction of another table were Alden and Aislin were eating. She was total recovered and so they decided it was better for her to leave the temple before any of the priests could find her. Now they were in the tavern, dinning.

- Who's the girl? – The woman asked, filling Alden's cup and looking at Aislin, as if trying to find any fails in her.

- A friend, Syen. – Alden answered.

- Hum... Where's Aldaír?

- We would also like to know about his whereabouts. – Aislin said, disliking the way Syen was looking at her.

- Well, he is coming.

Aislin and Alden looked back and saw Aldaír approaching them, passing through the crowded room.

- How are you, Aldaír? – Syen asked, seductively.

- Fine, thank you. Syen, could you bring me some bread and olives, please?

- With pleasure.

Syen smiled and left. Aldaír sat on the bench near the table. Both Alden and Aislin were looking to him apprehensively.

- Where were you? You can't just leave. The world needs you.

- I know that, Aislin. But you have to agree that it was a lot of information to gather at once. – Aldaír said. Aislin stayed in silence – I went to the forest. I needed to think and to ear the Nature.

- And so? – Alden asked – Did you?

- Yes, I did. And I know it is true. All of it. I know it from my heart. And I don't know how, but I have to save us.

- You need the weapon that was prophesied. It is with it that you will guide us.

Aldaír was about to protest, when Syen returned with a bowl with olives and bread. Once she left, the man asked to Aislin:

- What weapon? I want to avoid bloodshed at any cost.

- I know. But you need the Sword of Rulers.

- Where do I get that? – Aldaír asked.

- I don't know.

- Where does he begin his quest? – Alden asked.

- I don't know that either.

- What do you know, anyway?

Aldaír scolded his friend for his way of talking to Aislin. She was only trying to help them.

After a small pause the warrior shared his plans:

- I believe I have to go north. I have to go to the Fire Mountains. I need more information about the enemy.

- You can't go alone. – Aislin said, grabbing Aldaír's hand with her cold fingers - I'll go with you.

- No. It's too dangerous.

Aislin snorted and took the Border's Key from her bag.

- I have this. – The woman said, showing the glowing object to the men - It's the only way to cross the borders. I'm its carrier. Safira Luza, one of the High Magis, trusted me with it. I'm going with you.

- Alright. – Aldaír agreed - While we go, Alden, could you try to talk with Bernn II, our ruler? He needs to know about the enemy. He needs to know that this threat is real. Once he knows it, he should increase his guard and protection of the borough. He also should talk to the other four.

Alden nodded. Then, the two friends got up and grabbed each other's fists and Aldaír thanked his friend. After it, the man put his hand on one of Aislin shoulders and said:

- Take some rest. We leave tomorrow morning.