10. What follows me is escape

Opening my eyes to find her beautiful face sound asleep, creates a sense of calm and instant well-being within me. I still find it hard to believe that this is happening, that such an incredibly beautiful woman could have noticed someone like me.

I am not belittling myself, it's not like I have been unsuccessful in relationships, on the contrary. But what is certain... not one of those people can be compared to Valentina. I don't know where she has been all these years or why she did not appear in my life before. But right now, at this very moment, while I watch her sleep with that adorable smile on her lips, I feel that she is the one... she is the person I always hoped for, the only person capable of making me feel this way.

And the most incredible thing is... she loves me... and I love her too.

I may not dare to say it out loud, I know that the moment it happens, the moment my lips release how I feel, there will be no going back, I will have no escape... and that scares me. But the question is... do I still have an escape?

Could I go before it was too late?

No... I think of the way my heart speeds up just looking at her, the trembling that invades my body when she touches me, or the peace that her smile produces in me. These reactions are a clear sign that it's already too late.

You fell into the trap Juliana. You are completely crazy about this blue-eyed girl and your only desire right now is to be able to enjoy this image every day for the rest of your life... although you know it is completely impossible.

'If I could give my life in exchange for yours... know that I would!' I think as I gently remove a few strands of hair that have fallen on to her face.

Yes, as intense as it sounds, I would... I would do it without even thinking about it.

I had woken up an hour ago, aware that the train had come to a stop, but Valentina continued to sleep peacefully. Mindful of the fact that we were already in Vladivostok, the last stop on the Trans-Siberian route and as much as I would like to watch her sleep, I will have to wake her before someone shows up to kick us off the train.

After continuing to observe her for a few seconds and realising that she was immersed in a deep sleep, I did not want to wake her, so I decided to get out of bed and go in search of a good breakfast... or lunch, given the time.

I buy everything I need from the train cafeteria and make my way back to the room, finding her exactly as I left her. I can't help but smile foolishly when I see her.

I sit on the edge of the bed but she doesn't flinch at the movement, I begin to caress her face with a rose I stole from a vase in the restaurant.

I know... lately I have become a kleptomaniac! I swear that as soon as we hit solid ground, I will go get treatment before it gets worse.

Finally, the tickling of the rose begins to take effect and she moves slightly. It took a few more seconds before her eyes opened, finding that silly smile on my face that for some reason has not disappeared yet.

"Good morning," she smiled as she stretched her arms.

"Good morning sleepyhead... you need to wake up."

"Why? Is it late? I feel like I only slept an hour."

"An hour? I think you should multiply it by ten or twelve!" I report caressing her face tenderly. "It must be after noon."

"Noon? Are we already in Vladivostok?"

"Yes. We arrived an hour ago... Are you okay?" I ask worried at seeing her so tired.