Chapter 1 The Run

Dear diary,

Augustine here, It happened again...I don't understand how it happens, all I know is that it has been getting worse. I almost killed someone today. My arm randomly turned into some kind of rectangle box with two smaller ones close to my shoulder almost like a cross. Its shape is still unclear, all I know is that this isn't natural. Not only that but this 'secret' is becoming harder and harder to hide. There are some days that I have to make several trips around my block just to make sure no one is following me. That is the last thing I need, someone snooping around. I have heard about this academy, apparently, there are a lot of other kids just like me that have had this problem. They go there and they learn to control this... whatever it is. I dare not tell my parents heaven only knows how they would react. I think I just may look into this academy... alone. I will keep you informed.

PS. Happy New Year, January 1st, 2015

        I close my diary and look out the window. The sun is shining brightly, a few clouds are scattered across the sky, a cool breeze sends a chilling reminder that it is still winter. I hide my diary in a secret compartment in my desk for safekeeping. Thinking for a moment I began to wonder, 'Is it weird to keep a diary? After all, I am 15 going on 16 and I am a guy. Sure girls keep a diary until who knows when but a guy? Meh, who am I kidding it wasn't like anyone would find out anyway.'Suddenly loud knocks were coming from the front door, I stayed in my room and let my parents answer the door. Placing my ear against the door I tried to see if I could hear anything. The door opens and from the sounds of it, two men are standing in the doorway.

"Yes hello, I am from the sheriff's office. Does an Augustine live at this residence?"

I hear one of the men say.

"Y-yes, can I ask what this is about?"

My mother asks, her voice quivering.

"I am afraid I can't give you that information." The man replies.

"Wait a minute, you come to our house... ask about our son... and you won't even tell us what's going on? I think we have the right to know."

My father demands. A silence fell upon the house shortly after my dad spoke. Suddenly the sound of shuffling feet breaks the silence, the sound was getting louder and louder. I rush to my desk and grab my diary, my mind is racing. Unaware of what was going on my mind seemed to act in the fight or flight response, my mind decided flight.

My door handle starts rattling, I had locked it after hearing the strange shuffling. With my window being the only escape route I had, barely enough room to get out of it even without the fear coursing through my body. My legs and feet seemed to have a mind of their own. I started running to the window jumping onto my bed and straight towards my window. It wasn't until this exact moment in midair everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

My mind now racing faster now which in the heat of the moment actually caught up with reality. It decided to let me in on a few things that were happening. First, my door bursts open just as my feet left the bed, second my diary is barely clenched in my hand as I hurl towards the window. Last but not least... my window... is closed... Just as time seemed to have stopped I crashed through my window glass rushing by as I landed on the ground. Without a second thought, I jump up and run away from the house as fast as I could.

Not stopping once to look back I didn't want to take the chance that I would either trip and fall and learn that they were closing in on me. During this time it didn't even dawn on me how much pain I was in. My adrenaline pumping so hard, the pain was non-existent. I ran until I could not move, at which point the adrenaline that kept me moving was gone and all the pain that was pushed aside rushed in all at once. Just before collapsing, something caught my attention from the corner of my eye.