Quickly, she shut the window behind her and let out a breath. "It's fucking freezing."

I raised a brow. "Well, being February I would think it would be."

She rolled her eyes at my words. "Shut up." She looked around my room, scanning over everything before looking at me. "Where are those monsters you needed me to fight off?"

"Oh, they ran off a couple minutes ago. They got bored." I replied, crossing my arms comfortably.

She scoffed and slapped my shoulder. "Why didn't you tell me before I got here, now my purpose doesn't exist." Going with the joke, she reached for the window to open it again and begin her way back home. Before she could, I grabbed her hand and pulled her behind me.

Opening my bedroom door, I gave her a look she already knew. Be quiet. Seeing the look I shot her way, she nodded and we continued on down the hallway slowly. We were cautious in how much sound we were making and if we heard anything that sounded like another person was up.

Through the hallway and past the living room, we were sure we didn't step on any creaky boards or run into something noisy. We had just enough light to see where we were going and where everything was placed. Once we reached the basement door, I opened it and Y/n went through first and started her way down. I followed after her, quietly shutting the door behind us.

The two of us reached the basement and turned for the room we spent our time in last night. She walked in without hesitation and went for the corner light.

Before I had the chance to turn the overhead lights on, the room became a dimly lit mix of blue and purple. The walls were painted a different color in seconds. Sitting in awe was Y/n, looking around the room like she did the night before. I giggled at the sight, closing the door behind me.

She wasn't wearing a brightly colored wig this time. Just a black beanie pulled over her head, protecting it from the cold weather. She wore sweatpants that seemed to be a bit too big for her size and a t-shirt with a jacket pulled over it. This is the most comfortable I've seen her. Her hands were stuffed in her pockets and her beanie was pulled over the tops of her ears. Seeing her as relaxed didn't make me feel embarrassed or weird being in my pajamas still.

This was the first time I've seen her without hair on her head. It made me think back to the beginning of the school year and years before that, before she was diagnosed. The (hair length) hair that sat atop her head each day. Never some bright color, each day she would walk into school with the same (hair color) hair. Never in my life would I have thought I would see her with bright colors and different lengths everyday. Even now, without anything but a beanie.

Hell, I never thought I would even be friends with her. It's not that I've had anything against her, just the idea of Y/n being someone I knew personally never crossed my mind. She was always alone in school, since I can remember knowing about her. She never really looked like she minded. When she was diagnosed, everyone's talking began. Her name came up more than it ever had before, but still she was alone each day. Back in January, only a month ago, I never would have guessed she would become such a great friend of mine, much less be here in my basement at two in the morning with me because I had a nightmare.

Seeing her like this, though, only reminded me of everything. I've gotten so used to seeing her with a different hairstyle so often I never think of why she does it. With nothing hanging from her scalp, fake or not, it scares me. How fast this stuff can happen. Just a few months ago she was just Y/n, normal Y/n. Her name was all she was known for, nobody was expecting anything like this. Only months later, she's on medication and has made a bucket list. There is no telling what she is going through. The thoughts and fears she must have daily. I couldn't imagine what she thinks about.