Day at the clinic

Luke didn't even make it all the way to school, and he could already smell the scent of blood. He could already tell that this day would be extremely difficult. The moment when he saw the school bus that was practically covered in blood, he turned on his hells and went the other way.

"I'm back..." Luke whispered when he entered the clinic.

"What happened?" Asked Deaton and looked at the boy with raised eyebrow.

"Ah, you know, just our school bus, covered in blood from, I'm guessing, the alpha attack. The usual stuff. I didn't want to kill anybody because I would be tortured by the smell of a human blood all day." Explained Luke and Alan nodded.

"Well, at least you can help me here."

-Time skip-

"Sorry! Sorry!" Said Scott as he rushed in the clinic.

"You're all of two minutes late." Smiled Deaton.

"I just don't want you to think I'm slacking."

"Scott, I guarantee you, you're one of the least slacking kids in this town."

"Hey Scott." Luke greeted his classmate.

"Oh hey! I haven't seen you in school today, did something happen?"

"The moment I saw the bus, I got sick from the stomach." Said Luke and Scott looked at him suspiciously. Werewolves eyes then widened, and he grabbed Lucien by the arm and dragged him to the back room.

"Did you kill that guy?" Whispered Scott into Lukes ear.

"Scotty, how about you use that thing that you have on your neck once in a while. Do you honestly think that a vampire, a creature that feeds on the blood of its victims would leave such a mess behind?" Asked Luke and watched as Scott slowly shook his head.

"That's what I thought. Now c'mon, help me with these boxes." They were just walking out of the backroom when they noticed the sheriff. Scott froze.

"Hey, I see somebody's ready to get their stitches out." Said Deaton and Scott relaxed a little.

"Hey there, Scott, Luke. You guys staying out of trouble?"

"Yeah." Answered Scott nervously and Luke only nodded.

"Hey, listen, while I'm here, you mind taking a look at those pictures I was telling you about? Sacramento still can't determine an animal." Sheriff put down a few photos on the table.

"I'm not exactly an expert. This is the guy who was attacked in the bus?"

"Yeah. And we found wolf hairs on Laura Hale's body."

"A wolf? I mean, I think I read somewhere that wolves haven't been in California for, like, 60 years." Scott quickly explained when the three others turned to him with surprised expression.

"True enough, but wolves are highly migratory. They could have wandered in from another state driven by impulse or strong enough memory."

"Wolves have memories?" Asked Scott now full of interest.

"Longer - term memories, yes. Associated with a primal drive. See this one here? Those are claw marks. A wolf would have gone for the throat or the spinal cord with its teeth."

"So what do you think, it's a mountain lion?" Sheriff looked sceptical at the photos again.

"I don't know. A wolf could chase down its prey, hobbling it by tearing at the ankles. And then the throat." Said Deaton and Luke could feel that he was running out of things to say to the sheriff.

"But a big wild cats also use this technique. In fact, they prefer it. Cheetahs, for example, use their speed to get close to their prey and attack their backside, trying to drag it down. After that, they go for the neck. I'm pretty sure that other species of big cats use the same method, including a mountain lion." Luke speculated and Deaton shoot him a grateful look.

"You're probably right."