Waitin' around, sittin' ducks

"I can't take waiting around like this, you know? It's nerve-wracking. My nerves are wracked. They're severely wracked. Wracked!" Stiles paced across the loft while Luke sat brooding by the window and Peter had his eyes closed as he sat on the sofa.

"I could beat you unconscious and wake you when it's over..." The werewolf suggested drily.

"You think Erica's really dead?"

"You think I really care?"

"I just...I don't understand the bank, though, okay? Like, why wouldn't they chain them up in some underground lair or something? They're an Alpha Pack, right? So, shouldn't they have a lair?"

"They're Werewolves, not Bond villains."

"Wait a sec, wait a sec- maybe they're living there, you know? Like, maybe the bank vault reminds them of their little wolf dens!"

"Wolf dens?" Frowned Luke and turned to Stiles, offended.

"Yeah, wolf dens! Where do you live?" Stiles asked Peter.

"In an underground network of caves hidden deep in the woods..." The older man sighed.

"Whoa, really?"

"No, you idiot. I have an apartment downtown."

"Okay, fine, but still, that just proves that there's something up with the bank. And why wait around for the full moon, huh? Why not just kill them whenever they want to?" Luke didn't listen to Stiles' rambling, more focused on playing with the mystery coin, wracking his brain, trying to remember where he'd seen it before. He already figured out that it probably was made from brass, but had also the head of young queen Victoria. That would date the coin anywhere from 1838 to 1860. The state of the coin was nothing like its age. It actually looked like it was just minted. The hybrid held it under the moonlight. The shine made his head hurt.

"What are the walls made of?" Peter's sudden concerned voice made him look up.

"What? Uh... I don't know... Like, wood and brick, or..." Stiles gestured around himself, confused.

"No, the vault! The vault. The walls, what are they made out of? Where would it say that?" Peter started fanatically looking through the papers on the desk. "Doesn't say anything...Where... Where would it say the materials? The type of stone?"

"Oh! Oh, hang on. Yeah, here, hang on. It's gotta be in there."

"Here." Luke picked up one of the papers that fell on the floor.

"Hecatolite..." Peter mumbled and Luke frowned, he'd heard that somewhere before.

"Is that awful? That sounds awful."

"Get 'em on the phone! Call them, now!"

"Okay, why?" A cold feeling settled in Luke's stomach.

"'Cause Boyd and that girl aren't gonna kill each other. They're gonna kill Derek and Scott."

"Hecatolite!" Luke gasped as he suddenly remembered. "It blocks the moonlight, or scatters it or whatever! They've been without the full moon for four months! How have I not realized this before?"

"Sorry to break it to you, but you're pretty old, even for your kind. Maybe your memory just doesn't serve you like it used to." Peter grins at him and Luke glares back.

"Stiles, now is not the best time..."

"Scott! Scott! No, listen to me, okay? Look, you gotta get outta there. Look, the walls of the vault are made from a mineral called hecatolite- it scatters the moonlight." Stiles said into the phone, panic filling his voice.

"What does that mean?"

"Look, it keeps the moonlight out, okay? They haven't felt the full moon in months-" Stiles was cut off by Peter.

"Okay, think of it like the gladiators in the Roman Colosseum. They used to starve the lions for three days, making them more vicious, more out of control. Deucalion has kept them from shifting for three months, diminishing their tolerance to it."

"Scott, they're gonna be stronger-"

"More savage, more bloodthirsty... Scott, they're the lions! They're the starved lions, and you and Derek just stepped into the Colosseum."

"Derek... we got a problem. A really big problem." They didn't hear Derek's reply. Only growls.

"Scott? Hey, Scott! Scott!"

"No. No, wait!"

"Scott? Scott, are you hearing this? Scott?" The call dropped.

"Alright, I'm going after them." Luke started heading to the door.

"Wait, we don't need three feral wolves. Two's more than enough to cause them trouble." Peter caught his arm.

"I am not. Going. Feral."

"What's your anchor then?! What keeps you sane?!"

"A goal. One thing to keep my mind busy, awake, focused. I might be part wolf now, Peter, but when a vampire has a goal...that's when villages burn."

So... my search history is now full of stuff about old british currency. (I swear I learn more by writing fic's than I ever would in school XD)